Will females berry with no males? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Will females berry with no males?

Got four adult females in one tank just by themselves.

Anyway is it normal for a female to berry without a male in the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi
I heard that the female shrimp stores the sperm on her body. But i am not sure its true or false i never try )

GT-I9500 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimps will not berry without a male fertilizing the eggs, eggs stay in the saddle until shrimp and shrimpette mate!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Takes two to tango!

But yeah they need a male to fertalize the egg. They are like chickens. They produce eggs but if it aint fertilized nothings gunna happen.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
females will not get berried without a male. if yours are berried there is a male some where. they can have a saddle without a male and it will go away for a while but will come back. but never eggs with out a male.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

She's def carrying eggs. The other females are translucent but she's filled with little green eggs

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Are you sure they're eggs and not parasites?

Check here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=parasites

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Are you sure they're eggs and not parasites?

Check here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=parasites
They def don't look like that thread at all...wow poor shrimp there

I'll have to see if I can grab a picture of her the next time she's out

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here ya go

All I've seen in this tank are females and there's only been females in there for about three months or so. In fact I've been planning on adding a cull or 2 pfr males to see if I can at least get some with this coloration. They are beautiful shrimp every one of them with stripes.

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice shrimp and much better pic that I've ever gotten.

Can't see the underside from that pic though to see berries.

I really think you may have a sneaky male in the group if berried.

and

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 12:47 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
You can get berried females with no male, but she will drop the eggs in short order, because they are unfertilized.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

First I've heard of that.

and

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Nice shrimp and much better pic that I've ever gotten.

Can't see the underside from that pic though to see berries.

I really think you may have a sneaky male in the group if berried.
Thanks here's my second attempt at getting a berried photo, I had to coax her out with food LOL

I've got some cull PFR which are exhibiting some of the same striping so I'm figuring somewhere they interbred since they were sent in the same package, from the coloration I'm assuming that the brown color is the dominant gene so I will be working to get some of them out of there and over to this tank here in the next day or so

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
you have a male some where, probably almost clear in color maybe a few stripes so it will blend in really well

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode