Is there such a thing as TDS shock? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is there such a thing as TDS shock?

Hey guys, Im just wondering if I do a large water change using RO water to bring down my TDS (its over 400) will that adversly affect cherry shrimp? Ive seen people saying they can do just fine with TDS that high but I would be more comfortable keeping it in the low 200s. I have a 6 gal edge. Im thinking of a 50% change, and if Im at 415 and Im adding RO with a TDS of 002 Im hoping this will result in the 200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
What is gh and kh? Tds does not tell much unless you start with di. I would do maybe 25% waterchanges every few days using rodi remineralized to 200 to drop tds. If you take half the water out and replace with pure ro your gh/kh may end up to low. Many things can make up that 400 tds. I would also do a slow drip with the new water when doing water changes.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Cherry shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
I did that once and a few shrimp died.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I consider tds shock as more harmful than ph shock. Always want to take your time when lowering both.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the replies, I will not be trying a big water change. It makes sense to me that a drastic change in any parameter could be harmful, I just wanted to make sure my gut was right, because Im thinking a 50% water change at one time would lower the overall TDS more than 3 20% changes. I do use a piece of airline tubing to introduce the RO so the change is not abrupt. As for my gH/kH I have to admit I don't have a test kit yet. I came into the shrimp faster than I planned (RAOK) and I have a kit on order. I mostly want to be sure they have no problems reproducing and molting
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
It's osmotic shock. When you quickly reduce the TDS in the tank water it causes water to rush into the body of the shrimp that has been acclimated to higher TDS water. It can cause cell damage, so it is not something to take lightly.

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexinverts View Post
It's osmotic shock. When you quickly reduce the TDS in the tank water it causes water to rush into the body of the shrimp that has been acclimated to higher TDS water. It can cause cell damage, so it is not something to take lightly.
That makes a lot of sense Lexinverts thanks for chiming in, I hope this thread will help someone in the future who might be thinking of a large change to drop TDS, not a good idea!

Ill be doing a 15%(~1gal) change before I go on a cruise this weekend. The last gallon wc dropped the TDS by about 60ppm, so Ill expect somewhat similar results. Currently reading 415. I will do a 15% change every 3 days until I hit the 200s, and I'll report back here with my results. If anyone sees a fatal flaw with that plan PM me!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode