2 Months long enough to introduce Cherry Shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
2 Months long enough to introduce Cherry Shrimp?

My tank is at week 6 and I'm considering getting some Cherries around Christmas time as a present to myself.

Is 8 weeks long enough for the age of the tank. Yes, I'm also aware I need to be testing my water parameters and doing water changes..

Just a general question if that is possible.

EDIT.. I have about 20 Ghost Shrimp that are thriving in the tank and the sump currently. I'm sure they are probably hardier than cherries but just FYI.

Jarod
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon low tech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon High Tech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by anastasisariel; 12-06-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Ghost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
I started with a ghost/cherry tank and I had to remove the ghost because they were so much larger and they would pick up the food and leave nothing for the cherry shrimp.

Post your water parameters to get better answer Ph/Gh/Kh/TDS.. Cherry are very easy but still good to know.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you have algae or diatoms growing on the glass?

If you do and the water parameters look good, you have biofilm that they can feed on.

I kept five ghost shrimp with my RCS. I only saw predation with one. He stalked the babies. I'm sure the others took one or two, but he actively hunted. He got moved to the turtle tank.

There are many variety of shrimp sold as ghost shrimp. Some are apparently worse than others as tank mates with other shrimp.

However, they will hog food and steal from the RCS.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for your responses guys. I'm not worried about the competion between the ghost shrimp in my tank with the cherries as the cherries will be alone in my sump with fry/eggs. My tank seems perfectly healthy; going to double-check nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia levels tomorrow to make sure.

Strangely (and I hate even typing this), I do not have diatoms yet.. crossing fingers. Its possible that the ottos prevented them or consume them before they are evident..

I'm actually pretty confident as the ghost shrimp haven't had any problems despite they were purchased as feeders for 1.29 a dozen. Usually I would loose a few ghost shrimp but I have only lost one and I don't think the loss was my tanks fault.

Jarod
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon low tech

29 Gallon High Tech
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Personal experience on this subject:
Ghost shrimp(some) actively seek out the RCS when they molt. I do believe they can "smell" it. Food for your thought and their stomach.
I have kept RCS for about 3 years now and see that they get along better in mature tanks. They dash for any food I put in there
when in a new tank. This lessens as the tank matures. Now my RCS hardly act as if they notice it when I put food in.
If not able/willing to buy prepared food for them from that member here who has "the right stuff" then any good quality algae wafer
will do for them. I also feed them shrimp pellets(if only they knew..LOL..) and recently found something they seem to like that
is cheap and comes from Petco...a Petco brand marked "carnivore" pellets. I did notice they molted more frequently after I started feeding
this to them...more "berried" ones which I THINK are the result of this food.
You just need to insure that you feed them more when putting them in a "new" tank. With pellets you can count them but you need
to measure what you feed them and reduce/add more according to if there is any left over the next day. Some pellet type food melts
and you can't tell but no left overs the next day is best for the water quality. I break the wafers and only put in one piece every few days
now but they are in a mature tank and really don't "need" ANY food as they find their natural foods in mature tanks.
Not the case in fairly new tanks.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can supplement their food with blanched zucchini, yellow squash, swiss chard, all kinds of different veggies. Also any plants you move from your other tanks will have film on them that they'll nibble on. another thing you can add to help them survive while the tank is set up is indian almond leaves. I see you're from St. Louis, if you need some almond leaves lemme know and I can give you a few.

You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I too add Indian Almond leaves to my shrimp tanks. Sometimes they are gone within 2 weeks and sometimes they last longer. Maybe this depends on how much I feed them and the leaves are a fall back secondary food for them, but they keep the shrimp healthy and they love to nibble on them until only the stalks are left.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
I too add Indian Almond leaves to my shrimp tanks. Sometimes they are gone within 2 weeks and sometimes they last longer. Maybe this depends on how much I feed them and the leaves are a fall back secondary food for them, but they keep the shrimp healthy and they love to nibble on them until only the stalks are left.
Yeah and to top it off they are suppose to have antibacterial/antifungal properties

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
The shrimp dont eat the IALs, the leaves break down from microorganisms feeding on the decaying leaf. Shrimp feed on these microorganisms.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see what you guys mean about Ghost shrimp.. wow, a minnow died today and there are little shrimp battles going on between ghost shrimp.. I've never see them that aggressive ever... lol. Cherries will definately stay in the sump protected until their population begins to do well.. then maybe good bye ghosts.

Jarod

75 Gallon low tech

29 Gallon High Tech
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I setup a cherry shrimp tank and added them in a day. I used a very mature sponge filter but everything else was new and they're doing great. Cherry shrimp are the hardiest of the shrimps so it shouldn't be a problem.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
I setup a cherry shrimp tank and added them in a day. I used a very mature sponge filter but everything else was new and they're doing great. Cherry shrimp are the hardiest of the shrimps so it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah, I think I'm being a little cautious. I can buy them for a reasonable price at a LFS so I think I'm about to go for it in another week. They will not go into the tank from the sump (my sump has about 20 gallons in it) until I see prolific breeding. Its a darn shame Mississipi grass shrimp dont' have a bit of color because they are very entertaining. Maybe one day one of us will get some bred like that.

There is another native shrimp that I would really love to try called Ohio Shrimp. They have been kicked out of there natural habitat in many places but overall is not an endangered shrimp. However, I cannot find anywhere to get them.. I really really think they have a lot of potential in the hobby if someone were to focus on breeding them.

Jarod

75 Gallon low tech

29 Gallon High Tech
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Which LFS carries cherry shrimp? I know of 2 that do but they are the low grade ones

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
what are the parameters? only way to know if the tank is cycled is to know the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I had a tank with ghost shrimp only in it for about a year, it was a healthy breeding tank for them before I tore it down. Ghost shrimp will actually eat the tiny larvae/shrimplets - their own or other type shrimp if they see them, if there is enough moss dense hiding spots the survival rate is higher but that made my decision to not keep ghosts in with my cherries much, much easier. Well cared for and older ghost shrimp are extremely pretty and actually develop nice color. I've had some very pretty white striped, blue and green tinted ones to pop up after they were about 7 months old.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode