New Shrimp Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
New Shrimp Tank

So I just obtained a Fluval Edge 6gallon yesterday and am using the LED bulbs as well as Eco-Complete for my substrate. The picture is just from after i put the water in that's why it looks cloudy. I'm going to try and put some x-mas moss as well as moss balls in the tank but does anyone think that the plants would grow if i were to place some around areas where there isn't that much light?

Thanks!!!

P.S. I've been out of the hobby for five years and the bug bit me again to start another tank!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131205_212038.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	243345  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome tank and the hard scape looks like it'll turn out great! Shrimp should really love this tank!!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodrgn View Post
does anyone think that the plants would grow if i were to place some around areas where there isn't that much light?
Yes, plants such as anubias, crypts, wisteria, water sprite, etc... can be planted in the low light areas

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualady View Post
Yes, plants such as anubias, crypts, wisteria, water sprite, etc... can be planted in the low light areas
Do you think I'd be okay with growing moss by any chance? I like the low profile carpet-like look they give
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Rescaped the tank since i was able to get a hold of some seiryu stones and took out the piece of driftwood. I know the soil isn't leveled in a lot of areas but it doesn't bother me all too much
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131207_181117.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	243993  

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
How hard is the tank to work with? I know that model seem to have a limited opening if I'm not wrong.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank to me is okay to work with. I got it cheap so I'm not really complaining but getting the two rocks furthest away from the top opening was the only struggle i had
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:40 AM
PJM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Iwagumi

I'm going to do an Iwagumi 12 long shrimp tank and still need to figure out what substrate to use. Them stones look great, but I have also heard that type of stone requires big water changes every week, but I'm not sure of that. Here's a good Iwagumi site

Joshua 24:15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Currently I'm using Eco-Complete by CarbiSea. I tried the vinegar test on one of the stones (which isn't in the tank) and there wasn't any fizzling at all so I just dropped them into the tank and will see how it goes. For the past few days I've been doing about two gallon water changes to help make the water clearer and am using Tetra SafeStart to help with the micro bacteria growth in the tank. I'm thinking about using Mosura BT-9 and Mosura Shizhen later on.

I'll look for some other stones when I go back to Aqua Forest Aquarium for the Fluval Ebi I have on its way. Thanks for posting that link for the Iwagumi I'll be reading that for a while!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The most recent update on the tank

I have five Xin prl from ch3fb0yrd (spelling?) six Benibachi mix band from Max Kenji three prl from dreamer_yoyo and three prl from soshrimp in the tank as well as a handful of blue pearl neos from ch3fb0yrd (sorry if I keep mispelling your username)

Pic was taken with my phone so its not the best quality

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400908766869.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	324594

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 05:28 AM
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (32/100%)
I suggest you should remove that rock. PRL likes low PH

\
\
\
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Its black lava rock. From what I understand and what I've been told lava rock is okay with shrimps. I may be wrong but have had two berried prl with the lava rock in the tank. I use it to keep the flow from the filter from ruining the Eco-Complete on the floor

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
I assume you bought the rock from AFA, and if so, these rocks are shrimp safe. My buddy have the exact same rocks from AFA and keeps it in his TB tank. I see many tanks in HK use the same rocks for their shrimp tanks. You'll be fine.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The lava rock was from my grandpa back when he had some landscape pieces in his backyard it just hammered away at the big piece and got this piece so i placed it into the tank after cleaning it. The shrimp are doing fine in it and seem to be happy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode