Should I put a heater - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Should I put a heater

In my shrimp tank. It just dropped down to 63.4 over night. We don't have a heater in my house and I need to replace the heater in my 55 because it's not even staying to the temp I want it's at 75.4 when it should be 79/80

If I put a heater in the shrimp tank how do I keep the temp at around 70*

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Remember water takes a while to temp change because of its properties.

There are many heaters with a temp selector range at the top usually in even numbers like 68 70 72 etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I just put an old odyssey heater in my shrimp tank may have to switch it out with my topfin one it's not staying on to heat the tank to 70*

And my 55g has a heater and I cranked it up. It's back to the 80* mark I like it at.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
I just put an old odyssey heater in my shrimp tank may have to switch it out with my topfin one it's not staying on to heat the tank to 70*

And my 55g has a heater and I cranked it up. It's back to the 80* mark I like it at.
Glad to hear one of thems working have you seen any difference in shrimp behavior with the lowered temps?

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It dropped to almost 60* last night need to replace heater with other one I have, the only difference in behavior is they swim around during the night time, and are a bit more active. Which is odd to me because I would have thought they become dormant with that low of a temp.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)
My tank dropped to 60F again this morning and it didn't seem to bother them much. They are still swimming about normally so I'm hesitant to put in the 150w heater I have. And I don't really want to go out nd purchase another for just a few more days of cold. Is this a cold wave we're having? It's never been this cold in the bay area
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure what it is but it sure is getting pretty cold. It' was 30* outside the other night. I'm just worried about the temp dropping to much because my shrimp are berried.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (1/100%)
should u get a heater

If you are really tight on money right now you could do a quick fix and put a gallon at a time of youre aquarium water in the microwave or put it on the oven ikr eww. but after 10 gallons or so you should finally notice a change just dont let the water get hotter than say 88 degrees ! thats what i did or you could just do a big water change and forget the old aquarium water and heat up the fresh water whatever type of water you use ro or tap
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natefol View Post
If you are really tight on money right now you could do a quick fix and put a gallon at a time of youre aquarium water in the microwave or put it on the oven ikr eww. but after 10 gallons or so you should finally notice a change just dont let the water get hotter than say 88 degrees ! thats what i did or you could just do a big water change and forget the old aquarium water and heat up the fresh water whatever type of water you use ro or tap

Stability is the key with shrimp and this advice will get you nothing but an unstable tank fluctuating in temps and probably dead shrimp.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Banned

heater question

I have tried myself . and works although my aquarium is 40 gall his is 55 so should be even safer for him i would think. if you worried about plants just kinda slowly pour out the water and acclimate at a lower temp. but it should work.

Last edited by natefol; 12-08-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: update
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Just because you add hot water that doesn't mean your aquarium is going to magically 'hold' that temp in. All it's going to do is fluctuate up and then back down again. It's bad advice you're giving, sorry but it is. Many heaters are designed to bring the water to a certain temp and then only kick on when the water goes below that temp, hence keeping the temperature STABLE.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
turn on the space heater in the room at least for the nights.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
+1 By raising the temp in the room at night, the ambient water temp will stay higher as well.

However a cheap tank heater is less than $10 from Ebay and will actually have direct contact with your water. Set the tank heater to around 70, double check the actual temp with a floating thermometer to make sure, and it will turn on and off as needed to maintain that temp.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Banned

i personally would boost the temp to about 78
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
natefol, you don't know what kind of shrimp the op has. Different shrimp require different avg temperatures.

Here's is the original question: "If I put a heater in the shrimp tank how do I keep the temp at around 70* "

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode