Shrimps eating each other - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimps eating each other

So today i watched 4 of my cherries gang up on one cherry and ate him. Why does this happen? They were perfectly fine and they ganged up on that shrimp. Thats my first shrimp death in a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Shrimps are scavengers, they will eat dead shrimp as well. check your water parameters to see what caused the shrimp to die.

Last edited by shrimpo; 12-05-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Typo
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
What he said. I highly doubt they ate a perfectly healthy shrimp. Either it was dead or almost dead enough to seem like food. Shrimp don't care what they eat. If its there and edible they'll eat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Well, to be honest, there have been reports of shrimp attacks when there hasn't been enough protein in the diet. Usually occuring after molting.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Maybe consider feeding the tanks more. adapting feeding habits in higher population tanks are important.

The quality of foods are also important.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I feed these guys everyday. Algae wafers. They swarm over it everytime.. The shrimp was alive when it was attacked i was looking at my tank. N i see 4 of them jump right on him when he was on my moss. I think my shrimp formed a gang in my tank
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Could have also been a female that had just molted...sometimes the boys get a little overzealous wanting to breed and instead injure the female then eat her.

Feeding an algae wafer daily isn't the best diet....that's too much protein...which can cause molting problems, which can lead to shrimp too weakened to get away after molting thus resulting in being a snack. Vary the diet and back off those algae wafers

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Lots of fillers in algae waffers. LIke i said, quality foods may be worth considering...

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wish you took some pictures/video of this since you were WATCHING at the time this happened.
  • What size tank did this act of cannibalism take place in?
  • How many shrimp inhabit this tank?
  • What brand of algae wafers are you feeding?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now i know. I have at least 100 shrimp . Happened in a 10g and it was a male cherry that got attacked. Almost clear male. I feed them Hikari tropical algae wafers.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would be happy if my shrimp formed a gang that culled clear coloured shrimp for me...

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Hikari algae wafers are mostly meat. I don't know why they killed another shrimp, but they're getting more than enough protein if you feed them algae wafers every day.

Most people don't know that algae wafers typically have less than 1 percent algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode