Snail? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snail?

My tank is cycling with few plants and no fish. I spotted one snail 1/4" in diameter and chugging along. Don't know what kind it is, should I take him out or leave him be? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
You should take a picture of the snail. Most aquarium snail species pose no threat to shrimps and fishes, but some of them (ramshorn snail for example) are capable of reproducing extremely quickly, so they have the ability to become pests

Everything, Nothing, Nothing, Everything
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnionAndCation View Post
You should take a picture of the snail. Most aquarium snail species pose no threat to shrimps and fishes, but some of them (ramshorn snail for example) are capable of reproducing extremely quickly, so they have the ability to become pests
I'll take a picture once I spotted him again. I looked at the ransorn snail photo and he doesn't like like that.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (71/100%)
Bladder or pond snail?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you don't want snails in your tanks, take him out. Easier to remove 'em before they fully infiltrate (although the bad news is that if you see one snail, you've probably more, or eggs, elsewhere in the tank).

Personally, I like snails and consider them a valuable asset in my tanks. Even those dreaded malaysian trumpet snails. And, yes, sometimes conditions occur in which their populations boom--in which case it's just one more of those balancing acts that make keeping aquariums challenging and fun.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I like snails, I had lots of them in my reef. I thought freshwater snails eat plants.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER View Post
I like snails, I had lots of them in my reef. I thought freshwater snails eat plants.
Nope, just a few types eat living plants, the rest happily munch away at left over fish food, decaying plant material and algae. My 37g, heavily planted, has: several types of nerites, rams horns, malaysian trumpets, pond, bladder and assassin snails. Looking to add a couple orange rabbit snails soon as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Nope, just a few types eat living plants, the rest happily munch away at left over fish food, decaying plant material and algae. My 37g, heavily planted, has: several types of nerites, rams horns, malaysian trumpets, pond, bladder and assassin snails. Looking to add a couple orange rabbit snails soon as well.
Ok that sounds good, I'll keep any hitchhiking snails.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnionAndCation View Post
Nah, just don't overfeed. Snails are benefitial in a shrimp tank, bacteria grow on the slime trails and the shrimp feed on those. Leave the snail!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm another pro-snail person here. Usually through plants or something, I'll end up with some eventually. In the rare event I don't and it's my first tank, I'll actually go out and request snails when I buy plants/fish.

Most of my tanks tend to be of the messy, low-tech variety, but so far I don't think snails eat healthy plants. usually when I see them eating a plant, it's already damaged/diseased.

Plus, they are good for getting at excess fishfood, or on those unfortunate occasions, dead fish.

I also tend towards the attitude that more diversity is a good thing, so as long as some organism isn't actively causing a problem in my tanks, I'm usually glad to see it there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode