Best way to go about "resetting" a shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Best way to go about "resetting" a shrimp tank

So I've got an army of CRS and CBS from breeding for year now.

I feel like starting with pure lines now.

My plan is to sell all of my current stock and use the money to invest in a solid colony of PRL or PBL.

What would the best course of action to do this be? AKA how would I ensure that I have no shrimplets/shrimp still lingering in the tank.

I was thinking:

1. Net all that I can see until I see no more
2. Wait till any possible shrimplets grow up for a span of 6 months then net any if I see them
3. Rip the decorations AKA driftwood and moss out and do a final check scan
4. Do a food lure *wafer style"
5. Breeder box any berries to prevent spread of more offspring to deal with

Thanks for reading.

P.S: Those who keep pure lines are they any harder than your average or high grade CRS/CBS? And is it preferred to keep pure reds separate from pure blacks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You mossn't be so rude!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can prob net them out over a few day using food to bribe them out of hiding

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Sell all visible shrimp
Drain water
Dry tank for 2 weeks with gravel and all
Refill
Cycle again
Restock

option 2
Sell off all visible shimp
take out decorations
Introduce a few tiger barbs for a couple of days
restock with PRL shrimp

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
If your tank is year old I would sell all the shrimp and start fresh, new substrate and all the since you will need to do that soon anyway.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would concur with Hedge_Fund's plans, and PRLs in my opinion are about as difficult as regular CRS/CBS, if not slightly easier, since their genes are stronger as a result of having never been mixed with other bee shrimps. They are just pricier. Do not keep your PRL and PBL together otherwise they will no longer be pure.

Also, like the regular CRS/CBS, PRL/PBLs also fit "the higher grade the more fragile".

Everything, Nothing, Nothing, Everything
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnionAndCation View Post
I would concur with Hedge_Fund's plans, and PRLs in my opinion are about as difficult as regular CRS/CBS, if not slightly easier, since their genes are stronger as a result of having never been mixed with other bee shrimps. They are just pricier. Do not keep your PRL and PBL together otherwise they will no longer be pure.

Also, like the regular CRS/CBS, PRL/PBLs also fit "the higher grade the more fragile".

I've heard they are more difficult/sensitive than regular CRS/CBS. Why would their genes be stronger if they aren't mixed with other bees (goldens)? Genetic diversity often leads to strengthening of the genes so color me confused on your statement.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
I've heard they are more difficult/sensitive than regular CRS/CBS. Why would their genes be stronger if they aren't mixed with other bees (goldens)? Genetic diversity often leads to strengthening of the genes so color me confused on your statement.
Well.. That's actually came from a post made by a reputable forum mod on another forum, who said there was a period of time where price of CRS/CBS dropped by a ton, especially high grade (in terms of area of white) ones, because they were mixed with other bees like goldens.. Then people discovered the cheaper CRS/CBS were getting more and more unstable, and the "stubborn" breeders who didn't mix shrimps suddenly got popular (Nishiki, Benibachi, etc.) because the pure-blooded shrimps had better coloration and were stronger as a result of pure genes. I suppose maybe it's somewhat like how caridina and neocaridina hybrid are sterile..

I personally find PRL and CRS to have similar difficulty

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
The 'color' being unstable yes, as CRS/CBS/Goldens can throw CRS/CBS/Goldens. But as far as PRL/PBL being stronger health wise?? How, since they would more than likely be heavily inbred? Not being argumentative, seriously wanting to learn since goes against what I've read in regards to PRL/PBL vs regular CRS/CBS. Likewise I've read they are more sensitive due to the inbreeding/intensive linebreeding.

And sorry, but you can't compare this situation to hybrids, apples and oranges difference there. LOL.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
The 'color' being unstable yes, as CRS/CBS/Goldens can throw CRS/CBS/Goldens. But as far as PRL/PBL being stronger health wise?? How, since they would more than likely be heavily inbred? Not being argumentative, seriously wanting to learn since goes against what I've read in regards to PRL/PBL vs regular CRS/CBS. Likewise I've read they are more sensitive due to the inbreeding/intensive linebreeding.

And sorry, but you can't compare this situation to hybrids, apples and oranges difference there. LOL.
Perhaps PRL/PBLs are indeed more sensitive..

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/97%)
What if you mix CBS SSS with PBL? what will happen?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
off spring wont look as nice as the pbl parent. you will end up with a range of shrimp that look more like high grade crystal shrimp
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master503 View Post
What if you mix CBS SSS with PBL? what will happen?
If you do that the offspring should have a nicer coloration, assuming the PBLs have a better coloration than the CBS SSS, but unless you keep only CBS in the tank for the next couple years it will no longer be pure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode