Need Help On Shrimp Tank Cycling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need Help On Shrimp Tank Cycling

I have set up a 1 ft tank which is 2.5 weeks ago. i am having ammonia reading of 2 - 4 for the past 1.5 weeks. the ammonia reading doesn't seems to drop unless i do a partial water change. Normally how long will it take for beneficial bacteria to build up and break the ammonia?

Filter: Spong Filter
Temperature: 27 degree - 28 degree
Ammonia: 2 - 4 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH - 6.3

there are some article stating that low ph will cause a slow building process of the beneficial bacteria. is it true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Planted Member

What substrate area you using? Aquasoil or sand? With sponge filter, recommend water change is every other day. Canister filter with correct media will speed up the cycle. Bacteria starter will also speed up your cycle.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i use aqua soil. have also dose those bacteria powder last week. PWC every other day to keep the ammonia level down?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Planted Member

Yep, 30-50% water change to keep Ammonia at bay. Without canister filter, your tank will be fully cycle about 6 weeks or even more.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

too much ammonia is bad for the bacteria? i have also use a sponge pad previously from my mature tank , hope it helps.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Planted Member

Ammonia is needed to establish beneficial bacteria. Then it goes through nitrification process. When Ammonia is high and your filter can't cope with it. Excess Ammonia need to be remove, WC help. If you don't want to remove, cycle period will be longer as your filter only able to cycle certain percent of the ammonia. Yes, it does help certain level.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
The ammonia just needs water changes and a long cycle time; you can do a complete or large water change every week for as long as you cycle your tank. I believe a good amount of time to cycle aquasoil tank is a month, with canister filter

Everything, Nothing, Nothing, Everything
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your 2-4ppm of ammonia is great for cycling a tank. By the looks of your NO2/NO3 you're still in a very stage of cycling. I would suggest against any water change unless your ammonia goes over 5ppm at which level ammonia will actually start to kill the nitrifying bacteria.

If you don't change water, when your ammonia and nitrite (NO2) are at 0 ppm and you get a high reading on NO3, then do a 100% water change (preferably remineralized RO), let the tank run for another few days until PH is stabilized, then you are ready to add shrimps that requires soft and acidic water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode