Breeding Royal Blues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
Breeding Royal Blues

I want to try my hand at starting a colony of Orange Eye Royal Blue's.

Has anyone had success starting a colony with just a few say a pair or even 4 or 5 shrimp?

Only thing is since they're still on the "newer" side the price is still high so the ones I was looking to buy run about $18 per shrimp.

I figured it be slower start but I'm in no rush as long as it's possible I can build it up slow.

Last edited by greenteam; 11-27-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
I bought 7 in may and lost 2 right away. Ended up with 3 males and 2 females. Both females berried smaller than any shrimp I have seen. Moved them from CT to CA while still berried. Both held their babies through the trip. One released after a week and the other a week later. I now have 30-40 babies, not bad for them going into a brand new tank. That being said almost 3 months later neither female has reberried. I have found them to be extremely sensitive if things are not absolutely spot on. You can see pretty quickly if things are not to their liking. That is the problem only buying a few, if you lose one there is no chance for breeding. Also there would probably be no guarantee you will get a male and a female as most people sell before they can be sexed. You also have a very narrow gene pool with only a few shrimp which with in a few generations will become weak from inbreeding. I was able to breed oebt like cockroaches and have struggled to get breeding with these since the move, they are not a beginner shrimp by any means.
I would wait till you have the funds to buy 10 or more if i was you. Think you would have the best chance for survivors and and a good male tp female ratio. There is a reason very few people are successfully keepimg these shrimp in america and years later prices really have not gone down much.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Haven't had royal blues, but I do believe (in theory) you can start a whole colony with just a single pair of shrimp, but the biggest problem with not enough shrimp is not even hard to breed, it's the genetic degradation that will start to kick in before you notice it.

Lexinverts here sell young ones for $15, you may want to check him out
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=470978

Everything, Nothing, Nothing, Everything

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Anion, it makes logical sense what you said, doesn't it?

Shrimp are different from mammals though, and scientific studies have shown that problems from genetic degradation won't happen for several years. So no worries there.

I have to agree with Forumsnow though. In a perfect world, 2 would be all that's necessary. However since as humans we are imperfect (as well as water params may be imperfect at times), it would be wiser to buy a good number to begin with in case of accidental deaths.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Anion, it makes logical sense what you said, doesn't it?

Shrimp are different from mammals though, and scientific studies have shown that problems from genetic degradation won't happen for several years. So no worries there.

I have to agree with Forumsnow though. In a perfect world, 2 would be all that's necessary. However since as humans we are imperfect (as well as water params may be imperfect at times), it would be wiser to buy a good number to begin with in case of accidental deaths.
I concur, either way it's a good idea to buy a nice amount to start a colony ^^

Everything, Nothing, Nothing, Everything
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
Yeah I figured that would be the answer with such unique shrimp. Just that rich blue looks so nice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode