Questions about Fenbendazole for Planaria - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Questions about Fenbendazole for Planaria

I used the majority of a 250mg packet of pure fenbendazole on my 17.4 g and I haven't seen any planaria die I used the rest in my 2.5g and no deaths there either still crawling...
I don't want to hurt my shrimp or snails, but I have to get rid of the planaria. Should I dose the same today or increase the amount?
Will I see planaria die and float or do they burrow and die?

Mr Aqua 2.5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mr. Aqua 17.4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55G

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You sure those are planaria? Triangle head? A little bit pink color?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianzh View Post
You sure those are planaria? Triangle head? A little bit pink color?
yes and I hate them

Mr Aqua 2.5

Mr. Aqua 17.4

55G

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/show...n-Shrimp-Tanks

You need at least 3 ~200mg doses for that size of tank.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
I used ~100mg in all of my 10 gallon tanks (Over 20). The planaria took a couple weeks to die, but they did all die eventually, as did the hydra that had infested two of the tanks. I do not use carbon, only sponge filters. The shrimp were completely unharmed, even SSS CRS fry and RBT fry were fine.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Sometimes fenben isn't fresh and the percent active is small.

Try fish Bendazole. Same thing, but the percent active is often more.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Sometimes fenben isn't fresh and the percent active is small.

Try fish Bendazole. Same thing, but the percent active is often more.
That is what I used.

Mr Aqua 2.5

Mr. Aqua 17.4

55G

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How long has it been since dosing?

and

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I dosed last night and this morning

Mr Aqua 2.5

Mr. Aqua 17.4

55G

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I just started treatment a week ago. The first 4 tanks I used 3 x 2ml (10% liquid fenbendazole/goat dewormer; dog dewormer is 22.2% so you need 1/2 of the amount I used) per 10 gal. It took 3 days for the planaria to disappear completely but each day there were less. The next tanks I doze 2x at the same rate, the planaria are gone as well. I am not sure if dozing more than once is necessary but it will take the planaria several days to die. My snails, shrimp, frogs and fish appear to be fine. You will not see any dead planaria, they will just disappear. Maybe they dissolve, but I suspect they don't live long and maybe fenbedazole prevents reproduction? I am not sure but when I saw less and less of the planaria, the ones I saw appeared to be just fine. Then the next day they were just gone.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, that's about right. Use med, wait three days, dose again, wait 3 days, water change if needed.

and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode