My Beautiful Nerite Snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up My Beautiful Nerite Snails

Nerite Snails are one of the best algae eaters for me. I have 8 of them in my 20 gallon planted tank. My Aunty caught them from their province and gave some to me as she sell them online. I see them crawl all over my tank eating green and brown algae, leftover fishfoods like sinking pellets and flakes and sometimes they also eat decaying leaves.

Zebra Nerite Snail on Anubias Nana

I have them in my tank for almost 9 months right now. Originally, I also had 8 of these snails in my tank from the beginning but I lost all of them after dosing Parasites Away, an anti-parasites liquid medication, to cure my Neon Tetras from their White Spot Disease. It was obviously a wrong move so I was so pissed off because not only my snails were the ones affected but also my plants. Some of my plants decayed and die. Because of that, I did a 80% water change 3x that day to somehow remove the dosage of the Parasites Away in my tank. After a week, I tried putting some Nerite Snails to test if it is safe for them to live in my tank again but after 2-3 days, they died so every week, I did 60% water change and after a month, I once again tried to put 6 snails and finally, they all survived up to this day.

I love having them in my tank not only for their algae eating purpose but also because of their beautiful shells that comes in different patterns and colors. Some of these snails are called according to their appearance like Zebra, Red Tricolor, Yellow Tracked, Bumble Bee, etc. Most of my visitors that stared at my tank found them cute and gorgeous. They are indeed one of the main attractions in my planted tank.

Red Tricolor Nerite Snail

Orange Tricolor Nerite Snail

Yellow Tricolor Nerite Snails

Marble Tricolor Nerite Snail

Different Types/Design of Nerite Snails of my Aunty

Nerite Snails do not breed in freshwater tanks but some of mine scattered eggs on the driftwoods, stones, substrate and even on the submerged motor of my top filter. The eggs are color white and did not happened to hatch because based on my research, they only successfully breed in brackish water.

Nerite Snails Threesome and their Eggs on the Filter Hose

Like shrimps, Nerite Snails also undergo through a kind of molting where the outer layer of the nerites' shells is slowly removed but based on my observation, it takes a month or more to finish the process. I have been seeing two of my snails with a new layer of their shells for about 3 months but up to now, the molting process is still undergoing.

Yellow Tricolor Nerite Snail with it's new outer layer of its shell

These snails also have the tendency of leaving your tank if they cannot find algae or any kind of food to eat so you should cover your tank for them not to scape. I guess that in my case, I don't need to cover my 20 gallon tank because I can see my Nerite Snails happy, finding enough food for themselves and I don't see any of them missing or leaving my tank. I think they're at home. I experienced having Nerite Snails escaped from their new setup 2.5 gallon tank. New Setup tank doesn't have established algae so two of my three snails leaved the tank and eventually found dead.

Having said all of those, I still love Nerite Snails. Having them with my Philippine Rainbow Shrimps makes my planted tank control its algae production. I may say that I have the best algae cleaning team in my tank.

You may also visit my thread about my Philippine Rainbow Shrimps at this link:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...81#post4743481

Visit my planted tanks' profiles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by migs_hernan; 11-30-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Wow!

Those tri color red nerites are amazing! Awesome pictures, dude.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
I agree the one in the second photo is exceptionally beautiful. wish I could buy some like that here in the states.

-Jacklyn

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportjon View Post
Wow!

Those tri color red nerites are amazing! Awesome pictures, dude.
Thank you! They are amazing indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
I agree the one in the second photo is exceptionally beautiful. wish I could buy some like that here in the states.
Thanks! That Red Tricolor Nerite Snail is my favorite.

|

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Those guys look more like art than snails beautiful

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Very beautiful. I have some "olive" Nerites in my 40g and they clean things up nicely. I've noticed that the shells on mine are changing from an olive plain color to more of the zebra pattern.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqguy View Post
Those guys look more like art than snails beautiful
Your are definitely right. I chose the good looking ones for my tank and believe it or not, we cooked and ate the ugly ones. Most of we cooked were dark zebra nerite snails of my Aunty. Buyers don't like them because they prefer having snails with beautiful designs, bright and many colors that's why we decided do cook and eat them and the taste was good and taste. Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
Very beautiful. I have some "olive" Nerites in my 40g and they clean things up nicely. I've noticed that the shells on mine are changing from an olive plain color to more of the zebra pattern.
Yes, they are indeed beautiful. I have a yellow tricolor nerite snail that is changing to red tricolor. I will took a picture of it once I got a good sight of it and post to this thread.

|

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your little hot rods have awesome paint jobs!
I know it's all natural. Breathtaking!
I am enjoying your colorful native critters, migs.

Here in Louisiana, the occasional bright solid blue crawfish (crayfish) turn up in live bake bags. Seems a pity to eat them. (I myself do not like crawfish. Does NOT taste like little lobsters)

-Stef*
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Beautiful snails! Awsome colors !
I wish we could get such beautiful snails here but a pity they're banned by law.

As for eating we do not eat snails,lobsters,...etc.
Reason: Its not Kosher!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
Your little hot rods have awesome paint jobs!
I know it's all natural. Breathtaking!
I am enjoying your colorful native critters, migs.

Here in Louisiana, the occasional bright solid blue crawfish (crayfish) turn up in live bake bags. Seems a pity to eat them. (I myself do not like crawfish. Does NOT taste like little lobsters)

-Stef*
Thank you Stef! I just added some new photos in this thread. You are free to have a look at them. Enjoy!

|

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rony11 View Post
Beautiful snails! Awsome colors !
I wish we could get such beautiful snails here but a pity they're banned by law.

As for eating we do not eat snails,lobsters,...etc.
Reason: Its not Kosher!
Thanks Rony! They really awesome snails. Their colors make my tank look better. Sad to know that these are banned in your country. We Filipino aquarists, are just lucky of don't having that king of law that you have in your place.

|

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'm confused by why you think they molt and how you think they would do that?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
I'm confused by why you think they molt and how you think they would do that?
I just used the word, "molt" to describe their renewal of the outer layer of their shells that comes with a different kind of look. I think they naturally do that.

|

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'd love to see some documentation on that. Everything I've seen says snails can build up a calcium inner layer if damage is done to the shell, but they can't regrow the outer shell which is why it is so important to have them in proper conditions that increases the likeliness of a strong shell and reduces the chances of shell damage or deterioration occurring.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm not real sure what you mean by the molt thing either...

Like Kat12 said, as far as I know, pretty much all molluscs (snails, clams, oysters, nautiloids, abalone, etc.) grow their shell from the inside - the mantle secretes the nacre(I think that's the word ?), and builds up the shell from the inside and forward edge - why they have the spiral shape.

Also why you see the points eroded/worn down on some MTS kept in soft/acidic water - the snail's mantle isn't in contact with that part of the shell, so it can't repair it, and the water keeps dissolving it.

As to the outer layer with the colors and such, I think that's organic, but I don't really know anything about how it's produced or what not.

Anyways, you're snails do look great - I love how the stripes match up across the spiral of the shell. neat little critters, and cool that you can find them locally.

Tags
algae eater, nerite, nerite snail, nerite snails, snail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode