My Philippine Rainbow Shrimps - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool My Philippine Rainbow Shrimps

I have 8 of these so called Malaysian Rainbow Shrimps in my 20 gal planted tank. I got them from the wild here in the Philippines. I think I can call them Philippine Rainbow Shrimps just because they are originally from the Philippines as I caught them here. Hehe.

Philippine Rainbow Shrimp

In the wild, they hide under the rocks in river streams. You can catch them using a fishnet and by blocking their way by your hands and then lead them to your fishnet.

Based on my observation, female ones have brilliant dark colors raging to brown, black, dark green, dark blue, dark blue green, dark orange to dark yellow color.

Pregnant Philippine Rainbow Shrimp

The male ones have smaller body compared to females and have a whitish transparent color. Finding male rainbow shrimps are hard for me because of their almost transparent body. Their color blend with the rocks, dry leaves and woods in the river stream where they hide and most of the time, I got more female shrimps than males every time I went from catching them.

Male Philippine Rainbow Shrimp

I've been keeping them for about 8 months and they are all doing well with my Neon, Rummy Nose and White Skirt Tetras.
Most of my shrimps were pregnant at the beginning and up to now but I can still find a single baby shrimp. Maybe the eggs won't hatch or my fishes ate the baby shrimps before I can see them. They love eating hair algae in my tank's substrate. They also eat leftover fishfoods like sinking pellets and flakes. I think they also eat the tip of the leaves of my Stargrass.

I love having them in my planted tank because of their big size compared to other shrimps like Red Cherry Shrimps that are delicious foods for my big White Skirt and Serpae Tetras. I also love their color that changing depending on their mood, environment and food they eat.

Philippine Rainbow Shrimp in yellow color mode

I think they only turn to dark orange color when they feel sleepy or when they are asleep. I took this picture 11PM, I turned their tank's lights on by 9AM on that day. I guess this shrimp was already sleepy by that time. I also noticed this dark orange color mode one night when their tank's light was turned off for about 4 hours and then when I turned it on, I saw almost all of my female shrimps in dark orange color mode.

Philippine Rainbow Shrimp in dark orange color mode

Philippine Rainbow Shrimp in black color mode

I love these shrimps. Having them with my Nerite Snails makes controlling algae production in my tank easy. I may say that I have the best algae cleaning team in my tank.

My 20 Gallon Low-Medium Tech Planted Tank

You may also visit my thread about my Nerite Snails at this link: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...57#post4745857

Visit my planted tanks' profiles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by migs_hernan; 12-16-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Outstanding!
They are beautiful.
Thank you for taking the time and pictures to post, migs_hernan.
And sharing!
-Stef*
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Algae Grower

Those look really cool! Your tank also looks awesome!

30 gal planted, bamboo shrimp, dojo loaches, nerite snails
8 gal Fluval planted: true siamese algae eater, amano shrimp
8 gal Fluval brackish: Opae Ulae shrimp

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (45/100%)
Migs,
Those are some great looking shrimp pics! Your scape is awesome. Well done man!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
Outstanding!
They are beautiful.
Thank you for taking the time and pictures to post, migs_hernan.
And sharing!
-Stef*
Thank you and your welcome! I'm just proud having them in my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen8560 View Post
Those look really cool! Your tank also looks awesome!
Thank you sir! I guess I'm just lucky having this kind of output after all the trials and errors that my tank went through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayphly View Post
Migs,
Those are some great looking shrimp pics! Your scape is awesome. Well done man!
Well thank you sir! I made some changes with the scape of my tank 3 days ago and I will post some pictures on my tank's profile on its 11th month and that will be on December 9.

|

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs_hernan View Post
I guess I have 15 of these so called Malaysian Rainbow Shrimps in my 20 gal planted tank. I got them from the wild here in the Philippines. I think I can call them Philippine Rainbow Shrimps just because they are originally from the Philippines as I caught them here. Hehe.

Rainbow Shrimp

It's so easy to find and catch them. They hide under rocks in the river stream and all you have to do is to lift the rock and presto, a Rainbow Shrimp is present but not all the time. You can catch them using a fishnet and by blocking their way by your hands and then lead them to your fishnet.
Based on my observation, female ones have brilliant dark colors raging to brown, black, dark green, dark blue, dark blue green, dark orange to dark yellow.

Pregnant Rainbow Shrimp.

The males ones have smaller body compared to females and have a whitish transparent color. Finding male rainbow shrimps are hard for me because of their almost transparent body. Their color blend with the rocks, dry leaves and woods in the river stream where they hide and most of the time, I got more female shrimps than males every time I went from catching them.

Male Rainbow Shrimp.

I've been keeping them for about 8 months and they are doing well with my tetras like Ember, Rummy Nose, Serpae and White Skirt Tetras.

Most of my shrimps were pregnant at the beginning and up to now but I can still find a single baby shrimp. Maybe the eggs won't hatch or my fishes ate the baby shrimps before I can see them. They love eating hair algae in my tank's substrate. They also eat leftover fishfoods like sinking pelltes and flakes. I think they also eat the tip of the leaves of my Stargrass.

I love having them in my planted tank because of their big size compared to other shrimps like Red Cherry Shrimps that are delicious foods for my big White Skirt and Serpae Tetras. I also love their color like this one.

Rainbow Shrimp in yellow color mode.

My 20 Gallon Low-Medium Tech Planted Tank
Your tank has great eye appeal!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualady View Post
Your tank has great eye appeal!
Thank you very much madam!

|

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Amazing tanks. I have rainbow shrimps and a male who looks like the one in yr picture.
But I never came across yellow rainbow. Yours tanks are healthy and eye appealing.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rony11 View Post
Amazing tanks. I have rainbow shrimps and a male who looks like the one in yr picture.
But I never came across yellow rainbow. Yours tanks are healthy and eye appealing.
Thank you sir. I just caught that Rainbow Shrimp in yellow color mode last week. I don't remember having a yellow one that time. I just noticed it's color few days ago so I quickly took a photo of it.

|

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Wow it must be so fun to be able to go catch such gorgeous shrimp! Especially when you never know what colors you'll get. Very cool.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by water-kitties View Post
Wow it must be so fun to be able to go catch such gorgeous shrimp! Especially when you never know what colors you'll get. Very cool.
You are right and catching dwarf shrimps is more fun here in the Philippines because of this kind of Rainbow Shrimps. Here is a picture of Philippine Rainbow Shrimps that I caught after 1 hour in the river stream in our place.

|

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Very cool shrimps!

|

|
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgetata View Post
Very cool shrimps!

|

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Beautiful shrimp and fish tank, are you able to test the water where they come from for temperature,TDS, GH...?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Lovely shrimp and tank! That yellow one is so nice. I wish we could catch shrimp in the wild in Texas!

Tags
balbaututi, dwarf shrimp, malaysian rainbow shrimp, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode