Mixing Shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixing Shrimp?

as being fairly to Shrimp Tanks, is there a problem with having reds, yellows, rilies, and carbons in the same tank? attached is a pic of feeding time, tell me if im going to have any problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	237657  

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	237665  

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	237673  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
They will create wild colored shrimp. WIld colored are mostly clear with some brown, sometimes dark green on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so its a horrible idea to mix the colors in other words. thanks, looks like im going to have to set up some more tanks.......hate it when that happens

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFISH GUY View Post
so its a horrible idea to mix the colors in other words. thanks, looks like im going to have to set up some more tanks.......hate it when that happens
Well you'll get differently colored shrimp out than you put in. Always keep only one neocaridina species per tank unless you don't mind interbreeding. Red, yellow, rili and carbon are all neos.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Some people love skittles tanks, some people want pure tanks because of offspring. It all depends what your goal is.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)
yeah if you want to keep that clean look for each color then separate them. If you want to mix try Neocaridina with Caridina sp. species.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 04:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you want them to have their separate colors you would want more tanks to keep the colors separate from each other, they are all essentially the same shrimp, just with different colors. It's somewhat similar to how people of different races can procreate without any problems (biologically speaking) because they are all human.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
What is an easy Caridina sp. species to mix with neos? as far as parameters go

Sincerely, Unikorn

RIP20 gallon tank journal

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
You could get amano shrimp but they get larger and will not breed for you. Tigers are another but i dont know toouch about them. The next easiest cardina are crs or cbs. these require low ph, soft water.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:53 AM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Amanos are nice, but as has been noted, you won't get babies. Babaulti shrimp like the same sorts of water condtions as neos if you can find them.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Algae Grower

These websites helped me out when I had the same issues. I have blueberries and 'rainbow' shrimp (a mix of wild Babaulti) they look so similar I wish I hadn't mixed em! Also, have Super tigers in there own tank awesome little buggars!
This one for parameters http://shrimpery.com/shrimps also has a nice set of guides
This one has a nice chart and little place you can enter the kinds and see compatability and so on http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/article...ity-chart.php/

Hope this helps! (oh ya might have an extra tank any way I started with one now were at three it's fun to have a bunch of types each has its own peersonality.)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode