More Oxygen Bigger shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
More Oxygen Bigger shrimp?

Well my brother told me that he learned that more oxygen equals bigger insects. So i was wondering if this would work for shrimps. You put shrimp inside a tank with 1 sponge filter vs a tank with 5 sponge filters. Has anyone ever tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Banned

PTrader: (31/100%)
hahahahaha this one made me laugh.

water can only hold so much oxygen no matter 1 sponge or 100 sponge filters.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Unless you pump oxygen into the tank via diffuser I would assume

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
richly oxygenated air will grow bigger animals. thats why dinosaurs were so big. the air had greater concentration of o2.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
unfortunately, thats factually incorrect. insects breather through holes in their bodies, the technical name for which escapes me at 4:32 am, and for that reason, they grew much larger in the early eons after the dawn of terrestrial life, during which the atmosphere was awash with O2, far more than today. I'm not sure whether shrimp breathe the same way. Im pretty sure that they actually have some sort of primitive lung. If they don't, and do breathe like insects, I suppose that it might be an interesting experiment to see whether they might grow larger in a high oxygen experiment. I once contemplated doing this with fruit flies and pressurized O2, but i was too lazy. Anyhow, you aren't going to get immediate results. It would probably take generations. One last thing: I suspect, though I am far from certain, that an overabundance of free O2 would alter the water chemistry, possibly the pH, maybe something else. And also, too much oxygen is deadly. Good luck

My tanks:

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSo View Post
richly oxygenated air will grow bigger animals. thats why dinosaurs were so big. the air had greater concentration of o2.
This is false. O2 concentrations weren't that much higher than today and CO2 concentrations were in fact higher. Dinosaurs were able to grow to their great size because bird-like aspects of their anatomy allowed them to respire efficiently and keep a relatively light weight while at huge sizes.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
a higher o2 concentration is a contributing factor. not the sole reason. experiments have been done where they've grown insects in a oxygen rich environment and many (not all) has shown an increase in size.

ice core samples from years ago show that the o2 concentration was much higher back then vs. today.
also, they've taken samples from amber and found o2 concentration higher.

co2 makes up .038% of the air today.
o2 makes up 21% today.
some googling i found says air in the dinosaur age was about 32% oxygen.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Should be a simple set up- O2 tank with microdiffuser

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
i had a hand full of wild neos in my 55, they got out of the breeder box. they got huge one female was almost 3 inches long. i think size is related to the type of shrimp and size of home. the same shrimp i had in a one gal hex tank only got about 1 inch if that big.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i had a hand full of wild neos in my 55, they got out of the breeder box. they got huge one female was almost 3 inches long. i think size is related to the type of shrimp and size of home. the same shrimp i had in a one gal hex tank only got about 1 inch if that big.

Oh I have had entirely different results. Had HUGE PFRs in a 3 gallon...moved them to a 10 gallon and each generation has gotten tinier and tinier. Have a ton of tibees in a 12 gallon, moved 3 of them over to a 3 gallon and they are much larger than the ones in the 12G. I doubt living space has much to do with it honestly. Just my .02 on my experiences anyway

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
I have a theory that frequent water changes/conditions causes growth. Have yet to test it, but from observation of moving neos from tank to tank or very frequent water changes is when I've seen large growth appear.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
3" long neo? i'd love to see a picture of this.
you do know how large that is for a bee shrimp right?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I would have to agree with Jaime. My biggest rcs lived in my canister filter for about 2 months before I found her. She was huge!!! AND SO BRIGHT!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merth View Post
I would have to agree with Jaime. My biggest rcs lived in my canister filter for about 2 months before I found her. She was huge!!! AND SO BRIGHT!
this thread is delivering on cracking me up today.
congrats for that..

I have some plump large fat healthy female CRS/CBS in one of my tanks that I'd guess at the most is 1.5" and thats on the high side. a 3" shrimp would be a giant.
there is no way i'm believing this story.

and for the others that seem to think you can just pump an unlimited amount of oxygen into water you might need to do a little reading.
here's a good place to start. basically there is a max saturation of air to water you can achieve + or - depending on a few outside factors.

http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/wat...-and-water.htm
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoneric View Post
there is no way i'm believing this story.
Unless you have pictures of course

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode