Fenbendazol - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Fenbendazol

I just ordered liquid Safe Guard Fenbendazole 125 ml at 10% strengths (goat dewormer). What is the correct mixture to kill off planaria? And does it really not kill snails?

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
No idea. I use powder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am not sure too. You can try 0.005ml and see.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

You want .1g of Fenbendazol per 10 gallons. I also use a liquid version that was made for Horses but it said on the bottle that there was 100g of Fendendazol in the 1 liter bottle so I knew that 1mL would give me my .1g. Look at your bottle and it should give the total amount of Fendendazol in your bottle.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:17 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
The powder is 22.2% strength, so you'd use about twice as much as powder. So it would be .2 grams per 10 gallons
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Thanks guys. That helps. I will double check the concentration and go from there. If it is 10% I will use .2 gram/2ml per 10 gal. It being liquid should make this very easy. I have med droppers from my cats that have those increments so this will be a breeze.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
It kills Nerites...and it has a long residual effect I had to completely "nuke" my tank before I could keep them again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Algae Grower

I also need to nuke the tank with fenbendazole to kill off flatworms. Will this product kill off other species of invertebrates?

I have nerite snails and some surviving mawala shrimps in the tank. I'm not exactly sure what caused the flatworms. I noticed them shortly after I had two major changes. I had both a huge shrimp die off (probably caused by bad water parameters, and then not decreasing the rations severely enough afterwards). Also at the roughly the same time I introduced nerite snails that had been transitioned tanks from a intermediate tank that had not shown any flatworms for months, but contained nerites originating from an invested tank (that was decontaminated once all the intended livestock was moved to quarantine tanks)

I really don't want to kill off the poor surviving shrimps if I can spare them, but I gotta get rid of these things. I'd prefer the nerites to also get the treatment (and survive!) since I did notice the flatworms within a week of their introduction to the tank, but it looks like they might have to get quarantined

I have an equine paste that is also 10% strength

*update* Dosed the 5 gal tank with approximately half a gram of the paste solution dissolved in water, I'm just using a postal scale that I weigh my birds on so it's not that sensitive. As far as I can estimate, I measured out about a gram of the paste, dissolved it in a cup of water, and poured half in, saving the second half for tomorrow.
Nerites are doing their water adjustment changeover right now, they're going into a glass bowl with some salt and some marimo moss balls to knock around

30 gal planted, bamboo shrimp, dojo loaches, nerite snails
8 gal Fluval planted: true siamese algae eater, amano shrimp
8 gal Fluval brackish: Opae Ulae shrimp

Last edited by Jen8560; 11-23-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: updating
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Algae Grower

Update: dosed the first treatment last night, woke up this morning and didn't see any little wiggly worms in tank, gave tank the 2nd treatment. Will do a 3rd treatment tomorrow, then might start decontaminating with water changes and carbon in a few days

30 gal planted, bamboo shrimp, dojo loaches, nerite snails
8 gal Fluval planted: true siamese algae eater, amano shrimp
8 gal Fluval brackish: Opae Ulae shrimp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode