Snails good or bad? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Snails good or bad?

So in my previous tank I had alot of Malaysian trumpet snails and it was just regular inert gravel. They never really bothered me as their shells matched the substrate and they only came out an night (maybe even cleaned the glass a little).

My new tank is ecocomplete with a first layer of laterite. Snail free right now. Are snails a good thing to have in your tank (stirring up substrate) or should I keep is snail free. I am worried the shells will really show up on the black substrate and be an eyesore. Is it good to have them, do I need them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK club #50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have MTS's in all my tanks and wouldn't have a tank without them! 3 tanks are black diamond blasting powder.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ramshorns and Mysteries here. Just like Kat, I can't imagine a tank without them.

RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I feel like my mts shells are easy to pick out and remove as needed

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm grateful to have snails in every tank. They're an excellent cleanup crew, and sometimes, good fish food.

SunSun Pimp #86
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
yeah i have to say I agree. especially MTS, cuz they don't breed insanely like pond snails, but still reproduce. Do you have any snail eating fish like loaches?

My tanks:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I too have snails in all my tanks. I also have planaria and the moment I take out some snails, planaria rule the tank. I hate planaria. I just ordered some dog dewormer to get rid of the worms and need to see for sure that it is snail safe. Different thread I will post in a little while. Anyway, I like snails (MTSs) to kept toxic pockets from forming in the substrate and to eat leftover food. I love nerites for algae control and like mini ramshorns just because. Some of my fish might snack on the mini ramshorns but they seem to do well. And I have assassin snails in a couple of tanks. I bought them when they were still very rare in the US and have been selling them for years but I keep them restricted to just a few tanks. I used to keep mystery snails too but they took up too much tank space as mine were breeding all the time and I could not get myself to destroy the egg clusters. I finally decided to sell the clusters and let the last of the adult live out their lives. Been almost 2 years and now I miss them again, lol.

20g L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees/blue velvet shrimp, 10g CRS, 25g L174s/BNs/L340s, 10g yellow/red tiger shrimp, 15g clown plecos/CPDs/habrosus corys, 15g cory fry, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/BNs, 46g L134s/salt and pepper corys/BNs/rubberlip pleco, 55g SAE/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/L134s/CAE/silver dollar, 30g L340s/L211s/CPDs,10g tangerine tiger/snowball shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g CPD fry
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have MTS in my tank and they're a god send for me. My angels and gouramis are constant grazers. So poo everywhere!!! The MTS have done a great job utilizing the.endless poos and keeping my plants and everything else free of algae.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 TapaTalk

Looking to get rid of those trimmings? PM me!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
I too have snails in all my tanks. I also have planaria and the moment I take out some snails, planaria rule the tank. I hate planaria. I just ordered some dog dewormer to get rid of the worms and need to see for sure that it is snail safe. Different thread I will post in a little while. Anyway, I like snails (MTSs) to kept toxic pockets from forming in the substrate and to eat leftover food. I love nerites for algae control and like mini ramshorns just because. Some of my fish might snack on the mini ramshorns but they seem to do well. And I have assassin snails in a couple of tanks. I bought them when they were still very rare in the US and have been selling them for years but I keep them restricted to just a few tanks. I used to keep mystery snails too but they took up too much tank space as mine were breeding all the time and I could not get myself to destroy the egg clusters. I finally decided to sell the clusters and let the last of the adult live out their lives. Been almost 2 years and now I miss them again, lol.
If you still miss Mystery snails come spring I can pick you out some males and we can work out a deal so you don't have to worry about eggs at all.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 AM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
I'm grateful to have snails in every tank. They're an excellent cleanup crew, and sometimes, good fish food.
Couldn't say it any better than this.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
The only snails I like are nerites, glass cleaner there is!
The whole notion of MTS stirring up the substrate being a positive thing is overrated. When I had MTS in my tank, unintentionally, I could never plant any small foreground plants into the tank because they would disrupt the substrate and uproot the small plants. I had small erio sulawesi, trithuria sp. E. Belem, so on. Annoying snails.

If you don't plan on planting small plants like common foregrounds (HC, hairgrass, glosso, etc) then go for it if they intrigue you. If not, I would recommend staying snail free. If you need a clean-up crew that badly, you're better off keeping shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode