Amano Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, the LFS finally had some amano's when I went there today, so I stocked up (10 of them for my planted tank).

First of all, I have to admit that they creep me out a little bit. I don't like the way they skit around.... their legs are creepy. They remind me of roaches or something. They're also the only shrimp I've ever seen that will start running on the net when you catch one!

Anyway, was just wondering what they eat besides algae. Do they make good scavengers? My ghost shrimp would eat any leftover bloodworms that my fish didn't want. Will the amanos eat them too?

Are there any other general care tips that you might have?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 02:29 PM

They are creepy little scavengers. My wife doesn't like them at all but shes in love with the red cherry shrimp. Amanos will pick at a dead fish (as I've seen them do in fish stores) just as readily as algae. Actually, my amanos prefer snatching the fish flakes that fall to the bottom.

Adding iodine is recommended. You can get it in the marine section in some pet stores. Not sure on how much iodine, but my shrimp seem to be doing fine with the tap water and whatever iodine is in my trace mix.

Also, try to leave the sheddings in the tank. I believe that shrimp eat their sheddings. Its one of their few sources of calcium.

Mine tend to be nocturnal. They hide under a log all day and come out when the light goes out (my wife doesn't mind at all). They remind me of those creepy silver-fish insects that crawl on the walls at night.

^iMp^
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you want a creepy scavenger then get a bamboo shrimp, those things give me nightmares.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I brought a bamboo shrimp home with my first yamato shrimp. My wife takes one look and runs to the bathroom crying. Wouldn't come near the tank for days. The bamboo shrimp must have taken it personally, he jumped ship, drowned in the sea of air.

Yep, they definitely creep some folks out in a major way.

James
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
I brought a bamboo shrimp home with my first yamato shrimp. My wife takes one look and runs to the bathroom crying. Wouldn't come near the tank for days. The bamboo shrimp must have taken it personally, he jumped ship, drowned in the sea of air.

Yep, they definitely creep some folks out in a major way.
So what's so freaky with these bamboo shrimp?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
They are large, don't really look like shrimp, more like a cockroach and instead of claws they have two fan like filtering appendages. they look like aliens. It looks like something that would crawl out your tank at night and burrow into your brain.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
They are large, don't really look like shrimp, more like a cockroach and instead of claws they have two fan like filtering appendages. they look like aliens. It looks like something that would crawl out your tank at night and burrow into your brain.
:shock:

Guess I won't be getting any of those!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 01:52 AM

I just picked up my first Amano Shrimp today (LFS finally got some), and I definitely agree w/Jread on this one - they are CREEPY!! It looks like a clear funny shaped spider or something, I hope it doesn't get out :-( On a good note it seems much more industrious than the ghost shimp that I have.

Stacey
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 02:09 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I need a bamboo shrimp! When kids are coming and start knocking on the tank, I can tell them about that thing coming out of the tank at night and eating their brains. Hmmm!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5
I hate cockroaches! We get those huge 2 inch long ones outside in the summer. Makes my skin crawl to see them. Cut on the porch light and open the door and they are everywhere. I got rid of all the mulch around the house because they seemed to like it. Didn't make them leave though
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:49 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've got a bamboo shrimp and several amanos.

The bamboo shrimp is one of my favorites, but rather creepy. He took a jumped into the ocean of air once but made it back alive. (found him before he died and after he molted he was fine)

When he's marching around on the ground he's plenty cool looking, and he likes to fan the current near my CO2 reactor, but every once in a while he climbs up atop a plant and takes a nice leap swiming around. Seeing those swimmer things under his tail kick into gear is just downright wierd.

Question, will amanos change color to suit their environment? I bought them as "Algae eating shrimp" but from identified pictures they look like amanos. Mine are nocturnal and when I do catch them out and about they've gone from clear to brown to match the drifwood they normally hide on.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 07:54 AM

Quote:
they look like aliens. It looks like something that would crawl out your tank at night and burrow into your brain
LOL! Just got one for my buddies tank...he said he wanted something "cool"...well I geuss he's in for quite a ride!

Oh, and I'll be sure to take pics of the burr hole and all (...or maybe just ones of Bamby)!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
do you have to acclimate shrimp to a new tank like fish or can you just dump them in? and do you have to quarantine them the way you do new fish or can you just go ahead and add them to the tank?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't acclimate anything. My water is soft, the LFSs here have hard water. I used to acclimate the fish, but at this point I find they appear less stressed if I just dump them in. I pour the LFS water into a net, then release the fish into the tank.

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode