Tylomelania Snail: Battling and Treating The Leeches - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Tylomelania Snail: Battling and Treating The Leeches

I start off by buying some colony of sub adult size on aquabid and from a online source.

The adults I got from the online source are all big grown adult while the other source were sub adults.

Upon close inspection in the tank and unmovements of the snails, you can see leeches crawling around their faces and shell. Some snails are more adventurous while some will just lay there unmotionless. This are the one infested with leeches to the point where they can't really move much.

Their life is being drain to death. If left untreated, the snail will likely die of short life.

Bath Salt

I did read about this type of sulawesi snail carrying some type of leeches with them describe by Rachel and other people. Most of this keeper describe a harse treatment of bath salt.

Allowing the snail to sit in the bath sailt for 10 or so minutes then remove them.

While this does a good job of ridding the smaller leeches, the bigger one are fighters and require a stronger dose.

The problem I find with this is that the salt cause the snail to excrete protected slim/mucus over their whole body...and they won't come out until it's safe

While too much salt overdose have kill some of my snails, I find the bath salt too be very stressful to the snail and likely they will not survive the aftermath treatment.

NO Planaria Treatment

So I begin by using a small deli cup (6 oz) for my small treatment.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am using about half a spoon (maybe less, the little spoon is provide with the package) with this treament. I put it in there and give it a good stir until the powder has dissolve.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Before I go about treating which snail. I look for snails in the tank and look at them closly, looking for leeches that are visible on the snail's faces, shell, and anything that look unnatural. Once I know which one, I grab a thong and take it out of the tank.

If you are not sure, I know a trick to find out if your snail does have leeches.

By shinning a light underneath the snail's shell, usually the upper part, you can find out if it does.

You want to do this in a well dark place (go inside your closet)... turn the shell clockwise and look for dots or what looks to be a leeches moving around.

Here I show you guys one leechs that I couldn't remove from the previously treatment (it was done with less dosage of NO-Planaria)

Dosage

I have try a couple dosage and experiment on it. I find out that a less dosage will kill the smaller leeches but the bigger one CAN take the dosage well.

Below I will show you the result of a lesser dosage...take note the water is not cloudy. Some smaller leeches are on the bottom.

Lets Start

So we will be using the dosage from the top of this page.

You already have your powder mix in the water and ready to go.

Put your snail inside the cup

I like to use a pipette, I find it helps get rid of leeches a breeze.

Here is the snail in the cup... I have to pour the 6 oz deli cup water into a clear cup for you guys to see the snail. Take note that the water in this cup is cloudy!

That there my friend is your leech!

After a few minutes, you are aready to work the magic. Using pipette, you want to squirt the water into the shell of the snail. Get right up to it and squeeze many times until the leeches comes out.

Out it comes!!

Nasty leech!

After I am done treating them and I know I got most of the leeches out, I throw them right back into the tank. In a couple hours, they start moving around freely and eatting unlike the salt bath..

Finding

I find out that No planaria will kill the smaller leeches but with the bigger one, it tend to immobilize them but not nesscary kill them.

You can kill the leeches that are still alive after the treatment with Full salt. This will kill them instantly!!

This is only a small scale experiment....if you want to try it, please try testing on a smaller scale like this before doing on other large volume tank.

I have yet to dose my whole tank as I find it isn't needed with the small amount of snail I have. When I do see that my snail has them, I do the treatments.

I don't think you can really get rid of all the leeches unless you nuke the whole tank and the snail with it.

Let us know if you find this helpful and post your result...so we can win this war!!

Eheim Pimp Club #506

Last edited by Hmoobthor; 05-21-2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:02 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Good write up. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
This is such a terrific how-to! I've always been afraid No-Planaria would harm my Tylos but this gives me a whole new perspective.

Thank you for sharing.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)
Awesome!

Quick Q, does No-Planaria affect anything in a tank other than leeches/planaria? Particuarly one containing cardinal shrimp?

Thinking about dosing a 10 gallon before adding any shrimp/tylos. Got a bunch of tiny white worms on the glass, a couple planaria which I can't reach, and a possible leech.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer551 View Post
Awesome!

Quick Q, does No-Planaria affect anything in a tank other than leeches/planaria? Particuarly one containing cardinal shrimp?

Thinking about dosing a 10 gallon before adding any shrimp/tylos. Got a bunch of tiny white worms on the glass, a couple planaria which I can't reach, and a possible leech.
No planaria i have use on my 5.5g shrimp tank to rid of planaria before...it was so cloudy.. nothing die shrimp wise or affect anything..just make sure to follow the direction and vac after the days are up

Eheim Pimp Club #506
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
That was awesome, Hmoobthor! Thank you for the info.

18g (Red Cherry Neo Shrimp | Malawa Shrimp)
7.5g (Yellow Neo Shrimp)
3.2g (Pumpkin Neo Shrimp)
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmoobthor View Post
No planaria i have use on my 5.5g shrimp tank to rid of planaria before...it was so cloudy.. nothing die shrimp wise or affect anything..just make sure to follow the direction and vac after the days are up
Thanks.

Will the planaria dissapear on their own, or will they always eventually get out of hand? Since it's a sulawesi tank I will be doing little to no feeding. The planaria came in through plants I took from my pond.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer551 View Post
Thanks.

Will the planaria dissapear on their own, or will they always eventually get out of hand? Since it's a sulawesi tank I will be doing little to no feeding. The planaria came in through plants I took from my pond.
with less feeding, they will starve and die...

Eheim Pimp Club #506

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode