Hydra - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Hydra

Well, I recently decided to change my substrate to some fluorite black sand. About a week and a half later, I found hyrdra in my tank! I spot treated with some fenbendazole and they have already died! I also found a few planaria but they seem to be a bit more resistant to the treatment. Hopefully, they will all die in a few days. It just seems strange that a substrate change caused these creatures to popup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Very cool creatures! Usually you get them with new plants, or when feeding life food from ponds. I remember having some in a smaller tank, and went the mechanical route - just removed them whenever I saw one attached to a plant or the glass. After a short while they were gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NYREPS
Hydra

Fenbendazole will only kill hydra but not planaria

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Very cool creatures! Usually you get them with new plants, or when feeding life food from ponds. I remember having some in a smaller tank, and went the mechanical route - just removed them whenever I saw one attached to a plant or the glass. After a short while they were gone.
No new plants or live food! Like I said, very weird.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I still find it odd that some invertebrates are welcome and even coerced to reproduce, while others are exterminated. It's analogous to a similar debate I often have with my wife - what constitutes a weed? Many "weeds" that she pulls from her garden and flower beds are just as aesthetically pleasing as the "non-weeds."

If anyone else has a hydra outbreak, bag some up and ship them my way.... I find them extremely interesting.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Indy, weeds are simply plants not welcome in an area that has been set aside for other fauna.

Same as in an aquarium. Since hydra are known to kill and eat shrimp, they are not welcome in a specif area that has been set aside.

Ants and other bugs are not welcome in my home either.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/96%)
hydras are totally cool looking. But they are not welcome in my shrimp tanks =<..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
If they don't have a food source they'll eventually die out. I had hydra the last time my tank was set up and they went away on their own.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
I still find it odd that some invertebrates are welcome and even coerced to reproduce, while others are exterminated. It's analogous to a similar debate I often have with my wife - what constitutes a weed? Many "weeds" that she pulls from her garden and flower beds are just as aesthetically pleasing as the "non-weeds."

If anyone else has a hydra outbreak, bag some up and ship them my way.... I find them extremely interesting.
I'm dealing with some right now. Not sure how well they'd ship in a bag but I could try....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode