Mysterious Shrimp Death - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Mysterious Shrimp Death

I came home today to a dead PFR Shrimp. Dunno why. Occasionally, i find one dead but its rare, especially this time it was an adult, not a juvie. One thing i did do today was dose nitrates. You think this might have caused it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why you dose nitrates???
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
more likely Nitrogen.... which is a fertilizer.

Shrimp do not like levels greather than 30ppm nor concentrations if the dosage was not evenly mixed into the tank. Please take extra care if you are dosing the tank with inverts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha I dosed nitrates as I have em in my planted tank. That possibly could explain what happened. Thanks!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Neos are hardy, so it may not be nitrates. I keep them in tanks with significantly higher concentrations with no issue. But they've been acclimated over an extended period of time.

What are your other parameters? pH, GH, KH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, et al.

How long has the tank been cycled and running?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Re: Mysterious Shrimp Death

Quote:
Haha I dosed nitrates as I have em in my planted tank. That possibly could explain what happened. Thanks!
I dose modified EI dry with no apparent issues, aiming for 20 ppm max. Unfortunately, as detailed in another thread, it sometimes rises to 40 ppm if the kits can be believed.

Summary: I doubt it was your dosing.

Snail Glades,
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmm then since i do not have tests for my water quality...

I might look at CO2 or O2 levels. MY GH and KH are pretty good, GH on tap is like 1 so i buff it up to 4. KH not really sure but i think its also 4. No accurate measurements. Mayb i gassed the poor guy as my fish were stressed yesterday. I must've bumped my needle valve a bit since it was off. but only by a little. ammonia should be 0, tank is well established so i would assume i have sufficient biological filtation for a 10 gallon by the ehiem 2213. But never really measured it so cannot be certain. pH drops to ~6.2 when CO2 is on. Nightime hovers around 6.8-7.0
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Re: Mysterious Shrimp Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
Mayb i gassed the poor guy as my fish were stressed yesterday. I must've bumped my needle valve a bit since it was off. but only by a little.
That doesn't sound unlikely. Shrimp are more sensitive to CO2 than fish in my experience, and only a slight bump can be fatal if you're already near the line.

I could never keep shrimp long in my high tech 29g until I increased the O2 content by aiming the spraybar up at an angle and increasing flow to remove dead spots. I also began attempting to limit nitrates to a range of 10-20 ppm, not always successfully. Now I have a healthy breeding colony of Supreme Red neos.

I had to increase CO2 flow to offset atmospheric losses. A nice side effect of increasing O2 is that the inverts can tolerate higher CO2 levels too, not just to compensate for the losses, so your plants should do better.

Snail Glades,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok yea i definitely think it is that. I changed my filter outflow on saturday and today found another guy tapping out. Im going back to my original setup however, im sad since i use CO2 so fast this way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode