Shrimp Virgin - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Shrimp Virgin

3 days in on my first shrimp adventure. the tank was up and running for almost 2 weeks with some seeded filter media and driftwood that was soaked for a few weeks in established tank water. im not sure how much bb that accounts for but i'd like to think that it helped...

the shrimp are fire reds we picked up from the local swap meet this past sunday. i went with a super fast acclimation period and everything went fine. I think since these were locally raised shrimp with the same lake michigan water i have that had to have helped.

3 days later and all ten are still kicking. 1 has molted and 2 are berried! Better beginning then i could ever hoped for!

A few questions-

- i fed the shrimp for the first time last night. I bought the hikari algae wafers which based on the label is copper free. 7 of the 10 shrimp made a good meal of it and i removed the feeding dish and air hosed all the loose pieces of food out of the water. What other foods should i be adding to the shrimps diet?

- if my eggs survive, will all the offspring be fire red or would they come out some like the normal cherries and a few with the better coloration?

- any special considerations to shrimp babies that need to be taken?

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I can't tell you what the babies will come out looking like BC I don't have fire reds but as far as the food goes. A lot of people swear by blanched veggies. I have a lot of different Borneowild foods and supplements that I feed my shrimp. Jake(somewhatshocked) makes his own food which my shrimp go nuts for as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Shrimp Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post
3 days in on my first shrimp adventure. the tank was up and running for almost 2 weeks with some seeded filter media and driftwood that was soaked for a few weeks in established tank water. im not sure how much bb that accounts for but i'd like to think that it helped...

the shrimp are fire reds we picked up from the local swap meet this past sunday. i went with a super fast acclimation period and everything went fine. I think since these were locally raised shrimp with the same lake michigan water i have that had to have helped.

3 days later and all ten are still kicking. 1 has molted and 2 are berried! Better beginning then i could ever hoped for!

A few questions-

- i fed the shrimp for the first time last night. I bought the hikari algae wafers which based on the label is copper free. 7 of the 10 shrimp made a good meal of it and i removed the feeding dish and air hosed all the loose pieces of food out of the water. What other foods should i be adding to the shrimps diet?

- if my eggs survive, will all the offspring be fire red or would they come out some like the normal cherries and a few with the better coloration?

- any special considerations to shrimp babies that need to be taken?
I'll answer bottom up.

Special considerations, make sure there aren't shortages on biofilm and mosses. You'll get a large percentage of die off until your tank is really established.

It really isn't about the eggs surviving, it is the mom nursing them to birth. But past that, only a certain percentage will retain your fire red, if you don't really care about coloration, don't worry about culling. If you do, consider culling the visually inferior stock.

Consider an order from Jake. Get barley, veggie sticks and complete veggie. You really don't need more than that. Make sure you feed tiny bits and never more than once every 2 days.

Congrats on your success.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
I'll answer bottom up.

Special considerations, make sure there aren't shortages on biofilm and mosses. You'll get a large percentage of die off until your tank is really established.

It really isn't about the eggs surviving, it is the mom nursing them to birth. But past that, only a certain percentage will retain your fire red, if you don't really care about coloration, don't worry about culling. If you do, consider culling the visually inferior stock.

Consider an order from Jake. Get barley, veggie sticks and complete veggie. You really don't need more than that. Make sure you feed tiny bits and never more than once every 2 days.

Well said. Dead on advice. Don't over feed and don't scrape the glass. They love the algae.

Last edited by Fdsh5; 04-18-2013 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Autocorrect! Need I say more
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Shrimp are towards the end of the food chain and are not as choosy as we portray them to be. Any variety of flake and pellet foods provide a balanced diet. I try to keep their diets to 80% veg 20% protein. Take the opportunity to be aware of the PH/gh/kh and moderate as needed. This provides the best chance of survival for newborns if they are within suggested range.

You'd be surprised as shrimp foods are actually derived from many products used for composting, septic tank seeded bacteria and enzymes and other things that are not directly related to our hobby.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
All I can add to the feeding question is: Don't overfeed in protein, it can cause molting issues. Get a food that has 50/50 of meat and veggie matter. +1 on getting an order from Jake (Somewhatshocked). His veggie complete makes my shrimp go nuts! Probably one of their favorites.

- Brian
That one guy that is always online.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Special considerations, make sure there aren't shortages on biofilm and mosses.

thanks for such a detailed response (as always), got a ton of moss but probably lacking in bio-film. Little early for the congrats as I'm sure i'm gonna nuke a few shrimp still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdsh5 View Post
Well said. Dead on advice. Don't over feed and don't scrape the glass. They love the algae.
i'm trying not to feed much at all right now, i dont trust my tanks parameters and dont want any nasty spikes

i will let the sides and back have free run for growing algae and will only wipe down the front, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Any variety of flake and pellet foods provide a balanced diet. I try to keep their diets to 80% veg 20% protein. Take the opportunity to be aware of the PH/gh/kh and moderate as needed. This provides the best chance of survival for newborns if they are within suggested range.
im trying to keep flakes and pellets to a minimum for the time being cause i dont wanna run up the chance of that stuff producing an abundance of phosphates and cause any major spike, i will try to keep in mind the ratio of 80/20

still waiting on a gh/kh kit

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinection View Post
All I can add to the feeding question is: Don't overfeed in protein, it can cause molting issues. Get a food that has 50/50 of meat and veggie matter. +1 on getting an order from Jake (Somewhatshocked). His veggie complete makes my shrimp go nuts! Probably one of their favorites.
seems like the consensus is to get some of Somewhatshocked's food, im on it!

thanks

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode