Looking for a neutral substrate choice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Looking for a neutral substrate choice

Hello everyone,

Not to beat a dead hours, I am looking for a substrate that will house both OEBT’s and PFR’s. What I am looking for is answers from people that have had success in breeding them with a good hatching survival rate. I know that PFR’s can pretty much adjust to what the OEBT’s need. My FSS is old and is turning to mud and will not hold any ph.
I use straight RO/DI that comes out at around 6.2 ph. I rematerialize with Salty Shrimp bee G+. I am also looking for the benefits of ADA AS for my plant and moss growth. What substrate can I use to accomplish this?

Last edited by dhgyello04; 04-16-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: nuetral not naturual sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
What are your tap water parameters? Maybe you can use tap or mix tap and RO and get everything where it needs to be and use an inert substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
What are your tap water parameters? Maybe you can use tap or mix tap and RO and get everything where it needs to be and use an inert substrate.
I tested the water out of the tap and it was

Gh 12-13
Kh something like 8-10
Nitrate 20ppm
Ph 8.2
TDS mid 300's

Yes I have crud water

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (110/100%)
I have a 55 gallon that housed oebt and cherries, still working on removing all the cherries. I have pretty much a 100% success rate at ph 7.0-7.2. Substrate is about 1 inch deep, a mix of fss, pea gravel, black sand. Not a great substrate for plants, but that tank has produced in excess of 5000 babies over 2 years.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
Re: Looking for a neutral substrate choice

Well i would do some ro your kh is a way high. But pool filter sand is what i use
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Well i would do some ro your kh is a way high. But pool filter sand is what i use
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
I really would like to use the 9L bag of ADA Aquasoil Amazon. I have it in my CBS tank and the plants and moss are really nice.

I tried to use half and half or a percentage of each and there was a buildup of Nitrate because it is in my tap. Should I just redo it with FSS? In the middle of the FSS life span I had babies on both OEBT and PFR everywhere. I need to redo the tank soon and get the plant anchors out (rock and slate) because it is raising my Ph. Right know I am using Peat Granules to counter act the ph. But we all know that is a risky thing to do.

What if I use pool filter sand and straight RO/DI with minerals? That should keep the ph down around 6.5 or so right. If that is the rout than will the moss and plants still grow.

Sbarbee54 didn’t you do a FSS base with a pool filter cap? Or was that on your BEOT?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
so why dont you use more aquasoil? price? if so i have used the UP aquasoil and it works just the same as ada but is cheaper. they sell it on GLA.

i cant really help with the shrimp though

8g Fluval 1M CT Betta
125g 5 Blood parrots, 1 Green Severum, 8 Dension Barbs, 10 Yoyo Loaches, 1 RTS
75g Angelfish, 3 EBGR, 4 Siames Alage Eaters, 12 Harlequin Rasboars, 1 BN Pleco, 1 Swordtail
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankruptjojo View Post
so why dont you use more aquasoil? price? if so i have used the UP aquasoil and it works just the same as ada but is cheaper. they sell it on GLA.

i cant really help with the shrimp though

I would … I just want to know if it would be safe for both OEBT’s and PFR’s if they are acclimated long enough to the new parameters. I know I am being a pain in the you know, but I have searched many threads and still can’t find any proof that it will be ok.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
ok sorry im not sure. i guess they like 6.8-7.2..... idk if it always buffers like this but my soil has put my 75g at 6.6 but im using tap water at 7.6 so maybe just for me.

8g Fluval 1M CT Betta
125g 5 Blood parrots, 1 Green Severum, 8 Dension Barbs, 10 Yoyo Loaches, 1 RTS
75g Angelfish, 3 EBGR, 4 Siames Alage Eaters, 12 Harlequin Rasboars, 1 BN Pleco, 1 Swordtail
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I breed my OEBT's in azoo plant grower bed. PH is around 6.5.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 AM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
I did use FSS capped with pool filter sand but I switched it to just pool filter sand. I do that with my OEBT BTOE and Red Tigers..... But I am lucky PH 7.1 GH2 KH1 tds 30 out of the tap. So I add some remineralizer and off I go

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When I first sent up the shrimp tank, I used half-and-half of the FSS and FPS. My plants where good and it held the 6.8 ph well. I was just looking for some other idea in keeping them happy and breeding. I hope that we can get more ideas and experience in here. Thanks for all your help so far.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to assasin6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
I did use FSS capped with pool filter sand but I switched it to just pool filter sand. I do that with my OEBT BTOE and Red Tigers..... But I am lucky PH 7.1 GH2 KH1 tds 30 out of the tap. So I add some remineralizer and off I go
Woah I thought my tap was good...

Ph 8.0
kh 4
gh 4
tds 70

I'd go AS, FSS or just inert. You can always add ph up and stuff like that for OEBT to RODI water/

How I feel about non-planted aquariums.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
does it take a lot to get Pool filter sand clean? I use black Tahitian moon sand, but thought about switching to that. Anyone else know a good sand? I'd really like black, but if PFS is best i'll use it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode