Shrimp Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Shrimp Tanks

Hey everyone! I'm new and I've been doing some research about shrimps and plants. I have space to set up 3 x 10 gallon tanks. I currently narrowed down my list to 7 different shrimp (4 neo's and 3 cardinia's). I've read they can be put int he same tank together without interbreeding. My questions are:

- Would you suggest not combining different species (2 breeds in 1 tank)? So that each shrimp species has its own tank and won't need to compete....
- Or if you think combining 2 shrimp species are ok, then which combinations should I put together?

List of shrimp I want to keep:
  • CRS
  • OEBT
  • Tangerine Tigers
  • Painted Fire Red Shrimp
  • Orange/Pumpkin Shrimp
  • Yellow Shrimp
  • Snowballs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Welcome to the forum.

If you're new to shrimp, stick with Neos at first. Crystals and Tigers will be significantly more difficult for a newcomer to the hobby than standard Cherry Shrimp/Painted Fire Reds.

Start with the sticky here in the shrimp sub-form. Read everything. Then read every shrimp journal you can find here on the site.

Start with a single tank. A simple Neo like PFR or Orange. Get the hang of those. Then move on up the shrimp ladder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Will interbreed:

Painted Fire Red Shrimp
Orange/Pumpkin Shrimp
Yellow Shrimp
Snowballs

Will interbreed:

CRS
OEBT
Tangerine Tigers

So basically, if you want to keep them pure, pick one from each list per tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just wondering... are you located in SoCal? It would be great to have another breeder, locally.

- Brian
That one guy that is always online.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Shrimp Tanks

You could try keeping neos and cardinias together, but I think you should CONSIDER keeping some normal neos and playing with your water chemistry for a few months.

Plan a tank or two at a time. If you enjoy the scape, you'll enjoy the tank more.

When you've done your scape, start your tank up and play with cycling and water chemistry for a few months. Introduce snails. Keep testing things.

When you're ready to introduce shrimp, play with neos for a while.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've had crs and tigers before but its been a long while now (at least 2-4 years).

I don't know how much things and shrimp have changed since then since I've been out of the hobby.

Would you guys recommend only keeping 1 shrimp species per 10 gallon tank? Or is it safe to combine a neo with a cardinia? I want them to breed prolifically.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You can mix them and they will be fine, as long as you get water parameters that meet both shrimp's requirements. Neos can adjust to about anything, but they do better in a certain range, IME. Keep one neo, one cardinia per tank so there's no cross breeding.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Shrimp Tanks

There's no great answer. If you want them to breed prolifically, you want to keep an eagle eye on them then keep them alone.

It is the only way to cater best to both species parameters.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode