Necessary for Neos? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Necessary for Neos?

I'm hearing mixed views on if neos need any KH at all.

They're super flexible I know, but I intend on keeping my future black diamonds in 6-8GH 0-1KH.

Will this be an issue?

*Retired for now*
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I had PFR in 0 KH and they survived but I got no breeding. Don't know if that's part of the reason. The pH was low too, around 6.4. They did live though for about 3 months before I moved them to their current tap water tank which has water pH 7.6 and KH 5. I'm getting better colors and lots of breeding now.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Someone else might know for sure but I believe the ph is more important. When I lowered the ph in my tank the breeding stopped for a while. They're breeding again but not as much as previously. My crystals are breeding like rabbits though which is why I altered the tank

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Often takes a generation or two to get faster breeding but I find all of my Neos are just as hardy in tanks with 0 KH, 5 GH, 6.4 pH as they are in tanks with 3-4 KH, 8-10GH, 7-8 pH.

Colors are great, breeding is great, lifespan is typical.

In one of my 0 KH, 5 GH, 6.4 pH tanks, the PFRs are breeding like rabbits and my Crystals are slower than you can imagine.

0-1KH and 6-8GH would not be an issue. If you're concerned about KH, you could add a few pieces of crushed coral or use one of the Salty Shrimp line of products that contains both KH & GH.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Necessary for Neos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Often takes a generation or two to get faster breeding but I find all of my Neos are just as hardy in tanks with 0 KH, 5 GH, 6.4 pH as they are in tanks with 3-4 KH, 8-10GH, 7-8 pH.

Colors are great, breeding is great, lifespan is typical.

In one of my 0 KH, 5 GH, 6.4 pH tanks, the PFRs are breeding like rabbits and my Crystals are slower than you can imagine.

0-1KH and 6-8GH would not be an issue. If you're concerned about KH, you could add a few pieces of crushed coral or use one of the Salty Shrimp line of products that contains both KH & GH.
Thanks guys. Appreciate the detailed response, jake.

Yeah I'm not sure exactly what I'll do. It doesn't seem worth it to get a $25 product to raise my KH by two. I'll consider it!

Hopefully they'll adjust to my water. I'm a little concerned about PH since I won't have any active substrate lol. I've had more success with Cardinias than Neos oddly enough.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
I think it's worth getting the product if you really want "ideal" parameters.

But it's not absolutely necessary, obviously.

I mean, I spend about $20 every few months to buy TDS Up for some of my tigers. Not necessary in the least but it seems to make a bit of a difference in the ease of keeping some of them.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
I never even measure my kh. Since I use remin ro, I assume I have 0, but... *shrugs*

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode