Rcs excessive molting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rcs excessive molting?

I recently set up my first tank, planted it, and went through the fishless cycle. Then I got about 80 rcs. They have been in there for about a week. For the last few days I have found about 10 shells a day from molting. I've read that excessive molting means something in the water parameters is askew. I've been testing daily with the api master kit & am getting healthy results, 0ppm NH3, 0ppm NO2, & 5ppm NO3. I did a pwc today to bring the NO3 down. Ph is stable @ about 7.5. Any advice? Are they just stressed from shipping & new tank environment? Thanks-

Sent from my mind with magical powers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
GH, KH, and TDS are more important numbers to know in regards to molting. Swings in temps and water changes can also cause it. But how big are they? Juvies molt frequently because they grow fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
With 80 rcs being added a week ago, I'm tempted to say they are just molting due to the difference in water parameters between your tank and the breeder tank, but gh and kh readings would help make that call like ravensgate said.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Re: Rcs excessive molting?

I'm a noob and have only the other day read up on gh & kh. I'll get a test kit soon. I'm in oregon using treated tap water. I believe we have fairly hard water here. Anybody on the forum who is from oregon test their tap water?

I believe they are adults. They are all at least 1/2 in long.

Sent from my mind with magical powers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
If they are molting, that's a good sign that your water isn't too soft or too hard. It might not be perfect, but it's not too far left or right of ideal. I'd say it's just the change. Heck, you can promote molting with water big water changes, especially if you don't match temps. I never do. I just get the water from my tap and poor it in. It's pretty cold too and it's not too uncommon to see some molts the next day after.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode