Snails... Hmm... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Snails... Hmm...

So, I'm a few weeks into my new tank.. Everything seems to be doing very well! Somewhere along the line of purchasing some love plants, I picked up a few snails. I've never dealt with these guys before. I hear they reproduce like crazy and it's certainly a concern of mine. Any suggestions? Are the going to devour my crypts? How can I keep them from reproducing like crazy?

Here's a pic. I know it's impossible to tell what they are but Id love some advice!
Tank currently has assorted crypts, DHG, java moss and a few others. Fish include some cardinals, threadfin rainbows, guppies and otos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21365959028.291738.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	125689
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
~.~ don't overfeed catch the big one out
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Overfeeding is the #1 reason for snail population explosions. 99% of the time, snails are good for a tank. Keep an eye on the snail numbers, feed as little as possible, and you can easily remove them as needed by throwing a leaf of lettuce in the tank for a few hours, especially after lights are off. Pull the leaf along with all the attached snails. You'll get a bunch out that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Snails... Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Overfeeding is the #1 reason for snail population explosions. 99% of the time, snails are good for a tank. Keep an eye on the snail numbers, feed as little as possible, and you can easily remove them as needed by throwing a leaf of lettuce in the tank for a few hours, especially after lights are off. Pull the leaf along with all the attached snails. You'll get a bunch out that way.
+1. Nuff said here. I'll just throw my hat in as advocate for our sluggish friends.

They're great for any tank. They're amazing markers of how much you're feeding. If you see an explosion in population, I can guarantee it is the fault of whoever fed too much. However if you decrease the feeding again, most of the babies won't reach adulthood.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
+1. Nuff said here. I'll just throw my hat in as advocate for our sluggish friends.

They're great for any tank. They're amazing markers of how much you're feeding. If you see an explosion in population, I can guarantee it is the fault of whoever fed too much. However if you decrease the feeding again, most of the babies won't reach adulthood.
Amen to that!

Snails are part of a balanced formula. In normal numbers, even the lowly pond snails will help keep things tidy. Even just being religious with water changes, and vacuuming debris will keep them in check without having to harvest them. I made the mistake of hunting them down with each water change in my 125G and they disappeared. I've actually had to track down fellow hobbyists with ramshorns to spare or sell.

Last edited by Bushkill; 04-15-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo corrected
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Snails... Hmm...

Cool. I've heard they destroy plants? Is there any truth to that?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No. They will eat dead parts of plants but will leave the healthy parts alone. The common snails at least, pond, MTS, Ramshell.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Invert Warrior

Snails... Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
No. They will eat dead parts of plants but will leave the healthy parts alone. The common snails at least, pond, MTS, Ramshell.
What's that I feel? It's.. It's like this emptiness in my mouth. I think you stole the words. Lol.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
What is wrong with snails? Really though. They eat dead and decaying matter? Isn't that good so it doesn't rot in your tank? I keep them by choice in all my tanks for that purpose. Good clean up crew if you ask me. Just don't over feed and they won't be every where.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
It is possible that the crypts were beginning to melt. As the cell walls of the leaves soften, its easier for the snails to nomnommom on.

Another pest that ive found that decimated some plants and mosses were scuds. But that is a tale for another day...

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

What's a scud?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Scud:

Bad news for your tank...one of these things will completely destroy it!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Invert Warrior

Snails... Hmm...

Hahahah. Missile launcher.

Yeah scuds are rapidly populating things that look kinda like rolly pooly bugs but move quickly. They're ugly, but not intrinsically awful for a tank.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
They will eat your moss! Pure evil. Haha that is the third time that exact image has been posted on this forum that I have seen.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a pic

http://imgur.com/WjiqmNZ

Any idea what type of snail?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode