gh Kh API test kit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
gh Kh API test kit

I have a nice cycled tank with only an apple snail, ottos and one blue pearl in it. I am trying to decide what kind of shrimp I would like to put in it and was trying to test GH KH

I have the API test kit. The problem is, it says to drop in drops until the water changes to yellow (kh) and green (GH) . My problem is, I can't figure out how deep a color I need to get to. They change to a very light see through version of each color very quickly .

By 3 drops they are both definitely yellow/green but still light. The chart that comes with the kit has GH an KH numbers sharing drops

Ie

1 drop - 17 gh/kh
2 drop - 35 GH/kh
3drop - 53 gh/kh

Is it possible to have a GH and KH of the same number because it seems to me, they both took 3 drops so my numbers would be

GH 53
KH 53
PH 6.5-7

Am I not understanding this kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
Having equal KH and GH is normal. My tap has 11GH and 11KH.

For shrimps it depends what kind are you going to keep. Neo usually 5GH+ 3KH+, Caridina 4-6GH, 0-2KH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

now I am confused again because you are talking 3-5

Is that the number of drops? should I ignore the conversion chart that is giving the 17. 35,53 numbers?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PS. I also used the test strip just to compare and got a GH of 30 and a KH that didnt even register. It still looked like it was the color for 0
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Each drop is a degree of hardness or ~18 ppm. You should be inverting after each drop.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
from what i've read and heard from other hobbist, the drop you see a change in color is likely the correct #
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 02:00 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
I too have problem with API's GH test kit. But I have no problem with Nutrafin's test kit. Here are the color changes of Nutrafin's GH:

Nutrafin GH color
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenlea View Post

Is that the number of drops? should I ignore the conversion chart that is giving the 17. 35,53 numbers?
Yup is drop, here people rarely put gh/kh in ppm.

|

|
|

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenlea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Yup is drop, here people rarely put gh/kh in ppm.
As long as units are used, there should be no confusion.

For GH and KH test kits, one drop is equivalent to 1 German degree of hardness. As this is a non SI unit, 17.848 mg/L is sometimes favoured. Milligrams per litre (mg/L) is equivalent to parts per million (ppm).

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok then, I guess I have a GH/KH of 3 and a ph between 6.5 and 7

What to get. I have another tank with Malawa and Rili.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
That GH is a little low for pretty much everything AFAIK. I'd get a GH booster and go for some neos. Get the GH up to at least 5 for any shrimp.

Jaime (yes, I'm a girl)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe that is why my blue pearl didn't thrive
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
I found for myself that minimum gh that didn't have deaths was 4 for my cherries. Now I keep my cherries around 6-9 gh

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I added 15 ml of fluval shrimp supplement so far.. I dont want to increase to quickly right? preparing for your Rili to come also because the other tank is the same water source. Although, Like I said, until I added the plants from the other tank I had a thriving Rili population in this water.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
A quick increase in gh isn't like ph. They won't have a problem.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode