Is this tank ready for CRS/CBS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/97%)
Question Is this tank ready for CRS/CBS?

I do use Tetra Safe Start (TSS) way to cycle this 2 gallons tank with 1 fish. It's run for almost 2 weeks now. I test water parameters last night as results of:

Ammonia: 0 ( I tested 3 days ago, it was .25)
Nitrate: 20 (I tested 3 days ago, it was 160 and then I did a 25% water change, the new result is 20 after 3 days)
Nitrite: 0
Ph: 6.6
Temp: 70-72
Gh: 5
KH: 1

I do use New ADA Soil in this tank. I am about to put a shrimp in to test it, but just want to hear your thought on. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (8/100%)
2 weeks is a very short time for a shrimp tank cycle, especially with New Amazonia. Just my 2 cents.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would wait longer personally. You run the risk of the parameters spiking suddenly due to the tank still being new.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Your nitrate is still too high. Personally I wouldn't put CRS or CBS in that tank till at least week 3 depending on water parameters. Not worth risking killing shrimp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I forgot to mention, there are some existing stocks in there such as mosses/driftwoods from other running tank (about 5 years). How to low down Nitrate? I thought it's about WC ?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can use some floating plants to absorb a giant chunk of nitrates lol.

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (82/100%)
Is this tank ready for CRS/CBS?

Put some ghost shrimp or regular cherries to test it out. If they survive 1-2 weeks then it's ready but even in newly cycled tanks, shrimp could still die. Happened to me with my 7.5 gallon cube awhile back when I put some TTs in.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Regular cherries are tanks ._. I wouldn't really use them as a gauge on whether it is safe or not to put in CRS/CBS...

Only because I had a few regular cherries survive 100% WC of 12gH 9kH 7.9pH --> 0gH 0kH 5.3pH --> 5gH 0kH 5.3pH

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/96%)
It took me two months of cycling before I put in crs in my tank. An only after I can maintain under 5 ppm of nitrates
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (82/100%)
Is this tank ready for CRS/CBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpzoo View Post
Regular cherries are tanks ._. I wouldn't really use them as a gauge on whether it is safe or not to put in CRS/CBS...

Only because I had a few regular cherries survive 100% WC of 12gH 9kH 7.9pH --> 0gH 0kH 5.3pH --> 5gH 0kH 5.3pH
I know that! I'm just saying to add them to gauge if the tank is ready or not for shrimp
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
When my nitrates reach 20 ppm, it prompts for a water change.

I would suggest being cautious and heed the warnings of other regarding aquasoil. Because the tank is smaller, the risk of parameter swings is great so its better to be safe and consistent .

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman19az View Post
I know that! I'm just saying to add them to gauge if the tank is ready or not for shrimp
lol then I'm just saying, adding one of the hardiest shrimp into a tank that is questionably uncycled is not one of the best indicators (gauge) for adding in a sensitive shrimp species.

Using my experience that cherries can tank out an uncycled tank and take on massive parameter changes as an example. If a cherry can handle a certain set of tank parameters doesn't mean a crystal can for this scenario.

But sure, you can use those inexpensive shrimp to make sure that your tank isn't a 100% shrimp killing machine that can kill even cherries.

Though the best approach is to probably wait it out longer.

You mossn't be so rude!!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey guys remember this tank is go for softwater .. Cannot be in high gh/kh/ph

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode