Red cherry shrimp coloration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red cherry shrimp coloration

Hello shrimp keepers! I am a newbie at this hobby, but know a good about of info on red cherry shrimp.

So today, I saw that one of my big females ( big means old, right?) has a very pale red color. She always had the pale red on her when I got her, like 1 month ago. What I'm worried about is that she is pregnant, and so when the babies hatch and mature, will the babies also be pale, or possibly have a chance at being a more redder color? Right now, I have about 10 shrimp,so I'm trying not to cull her, but if i have to, for the sake of redder coloration in future generations, I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
as far as I know currently we don't know enough about shrimps genetics to determine those kind of things. Best thing to do is line breeding for a brighter red is let them breed and cull the ones that aren't moving you closer to your goal

Last edited by mcclure91; 04-10-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclure91 View Post
as far as I know currently we don't know enough about shrimps genetics to determine those kind of things. Best thing to do is line breeding for a brighter red is let them breed and cull the ones that aren't moving you closer to your goal
So basically leave them in the tank to breed and then just cull the ones I don't like? And what is line breeding for a brighter red mean?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpo_Brian View Post
So basically leave them in the tank to breed and then just cull the ones I don't like? And what is line breeding for a brighter red mean?
line breeding: pick the brightest male and female, and then breed their offspring together, again picking the brightest ones.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auban View Post
line breeding: pick the brightest male and female, and then breed their offspring together, again picking the brightest ones.
Another way to do it (assuming only one shrimp displays the coloration you are breeding for) is to cross that shrimp to another lower grade one, then take the best of the resulting offspring and breed them back to the original higher grade one. Doing this multiple times allows your to select for recessive traits that only one parent possessed quicker than traditional line breeding
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Everything said thus far is true.

I will say that the easiest way for the average hobbyist to do selective breeding is what you already understand: "basically leave them in the tank to breed and then just cull the ones I don't like"

This allows you to enjoy your shrimp while continuing to strive for your goal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Another way to do it (assuming only one shrimp displays the coloration you are breeding for) is to cross that shrimp to another lower grade one, then take the best of the resulting offspring and breed them back to the original higher grade one. Doing this multiple times allows your to select for recessive traits that only one parent possessed quicker than traditional line breeding
Haha I did not understand what you just said. I'm still very very new to this hobby, so please simplify it to newbie terms.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Everything said thus far is true.

I will say that the easiest way for the average hobbyist to do selective breeding is what you already understand: "basically leave them in the tank to breed and then just cull the ones I don't like"

This allows you to enjoy your shrimp while continuing to strive for your goal.
Yes! And I understand that I can feed the culled ones to other fish, or just sell them, right?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Haha I did not understand what you just said. I'm still very very new to this hobby, so please simplify it to newbie terms.
He's going into a deeper area of breeding involving F1 crosses with P1s. Great stuff, but more involved than what you are asking for methinks.

and

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yes! And I understand that I can feed the culled ones to other fish, or just sell them, right?
Yepper. Many shrimpers own angels or other fish for this purpose, as well as enjoying a 2nd aspect of "animal" keeping.

and

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to assasin6547
Quote:
He's going into a deeper area of breeding involving F1 crosses with P1s. Great stuff, but more involved than what you are asking for methinks.
Inbreeding

How I feel about non-planted aquariums.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Like it or not, inbreeding is required to set strains. Plus, what do you think happens when the babies grow up in the community shrimp tank? heh

and

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Red cherry shrimp coloration

Quote:
Like it or not, inbreeding is required to set strains. Plus, what do you think happens when the babies grow up in the community shrimp tank? heh
My girlfriend joked about how all shrimp in our tanks are the Brother, uncle, cousin, father, grandfather, godfathers of the tanks Hah.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode