? Worms in LFS shrimp tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
? Worms in LFS shrimp tanks?

Hey TPT!

While visiting a out of town LFS today I was EXCITED to see that they are stocking all kinds of fresh water shrimp!!! They has Cherries, Cardinals, Tigers, CRS & CBS, and a few others! So I started thinking about going ahead and starting up my LONG AWAITED Shrimp tank. Then while watching the TINY Cardinals scooting around I saw them!!! There were 10+ white worms crawling along the glass of the 10g tank the Cards were in!!! Most of the worms were quite large at about 10-12mm in length and maybe 2mm wide, but it was hard to tell exactly, because they were squirming along the glass rather quickly! They were white and had a roundish head. Kind of looked like a Bowling pin! Hope yall are getting what I am trying to describe!

There were smaller ones too. I saw them on the glass only. I didn't see any of them messing with the shrimp though.

What were they???

I WOULD NOT buy any living thing from those tanks!!! I don't even know if I would buy a living thing from any of the tanks!!! The store uses sponge filters driven off of a main blower, so the tanks are not connected to a large filter like the big box stores, but still I would be WORRIED that the worms could be moving tank to tank anyway since the tanks are side by side and most of the tank rims are touching each other!!!And I don't know if they use a different net for the shrimp and fish, or a net "dip" either.

It REALLY SUX TOO, as they had some good looking fish! They had a nice group of Diamond Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Beautiful Sword Tails, along with the normal stuff! They also had some Ram-Angels! While I really, really dislike cross breeding when it changes the looks of a fish so extremely, it was neat to actually see them in person. I have only seen a pic of the gold form in the planted tank book," The 101 Best Aquarium Plants" by Mary E. Sweeney on page 56. This pair was the normal German Ram coloration. But I find myself in the minority, generally when it comes to the "popular" body forms of fish these days!!! It was still cool to see them in person.

Anyway, Sorry about the tangent! If anyone knows what kind of worms I am trying to describe, I would be Grateful for the info!
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Nematodes are harmless and almost all shrimp tanks have them.

If the heads were triangular they were planeria and could cause problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well they might have been triangular in shape! It was hard to tell! Well the more I think about it they might have been triangular!!!

IF they are Planeria, should I stay away from all of their fish since the tanks are mostly rim to rim as well as not knowing their net habits??? I DON'T want any more difficulties with my first shrimp tank then I will already have learning proper husbandry of the BAD A$$ little shrimp!!! I guess I could snap a pic with my phone or small camera when I am there to pick up some sand I want to use in another tank! That way yall could tell for sure what they are!

Thanks,
Drew

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
All it means is that they are overfeeding the tank a bit. Lots of shrimp tanks get the little worms because there are no fish to gobble them up.

Personally, it wouldn't stop me from buying shrimp if it was something I really wanted. Planaria is easy to get rid of if by some slim chance you did bring one home. I would think it would be unlikely since they don't really swim around. they crawl on the substrate or the side of the tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Their planaria shouldn't be an issue for you. Planaria are generally a result of overfeeding. Doubt the planaria in their tank would even make it in the bag.

Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
? Worms in LFS shrimp tanks?

Yeah, you're over thinking this one, mate.

You should be putting absolutely zero water of theirs in your tank, and from store to home, there should be no planaria.

Even if they are there, they'll attach to the bag or the walls of your drip cell, and you'll ditch them that way.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
+1 The only problems they would cause in in their own tank.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
IF they are Planeria, should I stay away from all of their fish since the tanks are mostly rim to rim as well as not knowing their net habits???
For fish they will munch the worms happily lol... so that isn't a problem.

and for what the others have said for shrimp +1

You mossn't be so rude!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode