Tap water and RCS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Tap water and RCS

The ph on my tap is at 7.6

I know they are hardy but would you suggest R.O. water or should I be ok with the tap?

I'm using Eco so no buffering from my substrate.

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Tap water and RCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post
The ph on my tap is at 7.6

I know they are hardy but would you suggest R.O. water or should I be ok with the tap?

I'm using Eco so no buffering from my substrate.
Does your tap fluctuate much, and you'll need to test your GH and KH for us

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Once I switched from tap to RO, a lot of my algae problems stopped, and the RCS started to breed much more. Guess it all depends on your tap water.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I use tap and it's the same pH. Works great for my neos. Breeding like crazy.

My tap:

pH 7.6
KH 5
GH 6 or 7
TDS 117

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tap water and RCS

Tap water is pretty consistent at 7.6

I don't know my gh/kh as my amazon vendor never shipped that test kit...

Two lfs down and still no gh/kh test kit.

Hmmm I'll have to get back to you on that one.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
You should be fine, I had mine breeding in water that had a TDS over 1000 and pH at least 7.6. Mine were outside though and everything seems to do better outside.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tap water and RCS

So consensus is if there isn't anything crazy with my gh/kh I should go ahead and try tap vs R/O?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
I couldn't keep rcs alive for the life of me on tap, lost 9 of my 12. Since switching to ro I have not had a death and like 20 babies roaming around. So it all depends on your tap. Mine in paper was perfect parameter wise but there was just something in it I could not test, that they could not live with.

Last edited by Forumsnow; 04-08-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Couldn't
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Re: Tap water and RCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumsnow View Post
I could keep rcs alive for the life of me on tap, lost 9 of my 12. Since switching to ro I have not had a death and like 20 babies roaming around. So it all depends on your tap. Mine in paper was perfect parameter wise but there was just something in it I could not test, that they could not live with.
If you're home is old, there may be some copper pipes that will leave traces that will kill shrimp. There is no way to test for this, and an RO system will solve this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tap water and RCS

So maybe I'll just get r/o to be safe and then would I need to add something like that salty shrimp re-mineralized that every one is buzzing about?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I think there are copper tests but it shouldn't matter. I have copper pipes and no problems. Let the water run a couple minutes before filling your tank/bucket. That way the pipes fill with "fresh" water and it is not in contact with the copper pipes long enough to have anything leached into it. I don't even do that to be honest. Again, no issues.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you can afford the ro unit I say there is no reason not to get it. Takes all the hidden variables out of things. Plus you already have the unit for when you decide to try more difficult shrimp, and believe me you will! I picked up a 150gpd unit with drinking water spout of the ro for like $110 shipped from purewaterclub.com. We use it for all our drinking water and for baby formula, probably 3 gallons of ro every 2 days and 5 gallons of di. Really love the unit and could not be happier with it. Have heard some mixed reviews but for 1/3 to 1/4 the price of aquarium specific units, dealing with a small amount of bs would be ok with me even though I did not experience any.

I use shirakura ca+ and love it! I do not have a million tanks so I have used less than half in 3 months. It is super clean and the fact that is liquid makes it that much easier. I just use a syringe and add 1ml per gallon and get 5gh every time. Have heard nothing but great things about that salty shrimp. But with how my oebt are breeding I'm really not willing to change it. $16.99 per 6 months or more is totally acceptable for me, maybe once I get a few more tanks I may change my mind lol.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I think there are copper tests but it shouldn't matter. I have copper pipes and no problems. Let the water run a couple minutes before filling your tank/bucket. That way the pipes fill with "fresh" water and it is not in contact with the copper pipes long enough to have anything leached into it. I don't even do that to be honest. Again, no issues.
I tried running the water, letting it sit over night/week, all sorts of things. None of it worked. I have also seen a huge increase in algae in my high tech tank i run tap on and have seen increased fish disease. There is something terrible in my tap but i went from amazing well to garbage city. I wont even drink it myself. Cherries are cheap enough where you can give it a try, 99% chance you will not have a problem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode