What kind of snail is this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
What kind of snail is this?

So... I did the big fish store no-no yesterday of buying something ("Oh please can't we get that one? It looks so neat!") without knowing first what it was. It was the last random snail running around in a plant tank, and therefore was not labeled. So now I am ready to get the bad news (or maybe good news?) of what it is and if I should regret or rejoice about buying it.

(P.S. I know that the teeny one is a ramshorn. I am asking about the large snail in the pic )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snail.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	117994  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Marisa Cornurieties - Gi9ant Columbian Ramshorn Snail

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Desiderius Erasmus
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemenoi View Post
Marisa Cornurieties - Gi9ant Columbian Ramshorn Snail
Hm, maybe. It looks like their shells are usually in a flat spiral, whereas this snail has the spiral that goes to one side and makes a point. Do Columbian Ramshorns have that shape as well?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My two did, once I saw the pic they looked exactly the same. They get BIG, not apple snail big, but fairly close. My son had two in his 5 gallon and they ended up being the size of his fists (he was 11 yrs old), eventually became Fahaka puffer treats. They do eat plants occasionally, but his avoided Riccia for some odd reason.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Desiderius Erasmus
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Guess I will just have to keep an eye on him. He might do better in my big tank, which is 75% anubias and crypts. Less that I care about him munching in that tank.

Will they eat cherry shrimp or fish (cardinal or neon tetras)? If that happens, I will be mad. My plants, well, I am willing to see if it is the occasional nibble or munching down half the aquarium. I've got some fast growing stems I wouldn't mind if he kept trim.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

He won't eat your shrimp or fish.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Looks like a spixi snail to me. They'll eat pond snails (ramhorn, pond, their own), and also some plants. Beautiful snail, illegal to cross state lines.

Looks like the shell is eroding from water too low in gh and ph.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
columbian rams horn snail and it will eat plants ive had them whipe out a whole 10 gallon
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had two of these ramshorns and gave them to animal jungle here locally. They ate non stop plants, layed eggs non stop and what they didn't eat they steam rolled. Kinda cool though they would climb the glass and just drop off the side letting the current put them in a new spot.

29g Tetra Tank
100g Planted Angel/Clown Loach
I can't spell...Im an engineer, I do math
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelady View Post
...It looks like their shells are usually in a flat spiral, whereas this snail has the spiral that goes to one side and makes a point....
Exactly. Sounds like spixi...

Here's a Colombian ramshorn for comparison

and

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

ok i agree with bryce
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Looks like a spixi snail to me. They'll eat pond snails (ramhorn, pond, their own), and also some plants. Beautiful snail, illegal to cross state lines.

Looks like the shell is eroding from water too low in gh and ph.
Presuming it is a spixi snail- I bought it in-state! I don't mind it eating my ramshorns (I have lots). Will it bother my nerites? I can just keep it separate from them.

And my water is around 7.5 for pH and usually the GH is on the higher end, so will those erosions heal? Or are they permanent?

It is a pretty snail, that is how it ended up in my tank.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Any holes that have been eaten through the shell will heal from the inside. The holes on the outside don't heal because the shell is laid down from the inside out.

Being in your tank is prob the best thing to happen to these guys!

Have no idea if they'll go after nerites. (?)

And sorry about the previous post. I may have sounded rude, but I didn't mean for it to be.

and

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

not rude at all just seein both side by side i can deff tell the difference. and both i do belive are illegal to move cross state lines due to being invasice. i know the columian need warm temps and have large round eggs in clear jelly under water, spixi im not sure about the eggs
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Same thing really. Underwater, and white eggs on the wall of the tank.

and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode