Parameters for OEBT? How to raise pH with 100% RO? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (470/100%)
Parameters for OEBT? How to raise pH with 100% RO?

I would like to take another shot at raising these after killing a few batches last summer.

Before when I attempted to raise them I had them in Fluval Shrimp Stratum. Although the pH isn't too bad, approx 6.5, I came to realize that FSS is notorious for killing OEBT's for some reason. I used pure RO at the time too, but eventually my OEBT's died one by one.

To start anew, I would like to set up with the following.

20 gallon long - brand new tank
Eheim 2215 - used
Zoomed 501 - used (just for surface aggitation and easy Purigen replacement)
Marineland LED 36" - used

Planning to add 15lbs of Pool filter sand (bottom layer) & 15 lbs of Seachem Fluorite Black Sand (top layer). Both inert substrates with the Fluorite Black Sand a little beneficial for plants like Eco Complete.

My main concern is how do I get pH to 7.0 using 100% RO? It appears a pH of 6.8 - 7.2 is desirable for OEBT's I've read. My 100% RO has a pH of about 6.0. I don't want to have to mix with tap water for bacterial infection prevention. And I see a lot of breeders keep them in kH of 1-2 too. Is that necessary or can I keep it at 0? gH I see is pretty standard like neo's which are between 5-6.

Before when I used Seriyu stones I could easily raise pH, kH and gH, but its not just a slight increase, it would actually be constantly increasing so that isn't an alternative I want to use since I had no success obviously with Seriyu stones before.

`.. ....`...Miss My - I'm 28 - Pharmacist.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Banned

PTrader: (8/100%)
You can raise the ph by adding coral chips over a few hours/days add one wait a few hours/overnight and take a water test, repeat until ideal water parameters are met. I had to do this in my tank ugf+new amazonia+ro=low 5's raised it to 6.5 with 3 decent sized chips about the size of half a dime.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Baking soda will raise your KH and your pH. Mosura also has a product (relatively new) called pH Up which should raise your pH. As you metioned the problem with adding coral or seriyu stones is they keep leeching and raising the pH and other water parameters. What are you planning to add to the water to raise your GH?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
calcium carbonate will up your kh too.
if you want to just decrease [H+], add NaOH (found in lots of ph raisers, including API ph up). Na+ is irrelevant to shrimp, right? i know if you use Ca(OH)2 it will increase your gh. but you could potentially use Ca(OH)2 instead of some of the CaSO4 you use.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNemoShrimp View Post
I would like to take another shot at raising these after killing a few batches last summer.

Before when I attempted to raise them I had them in Fluval Shrimp Stratum. Although the pH isn't too bad, approx 6.5, I came to realize that FSS is notorious for killing OEBT's for some reason. I used pure RO at the time too, but eventually my OEBT's died one by one.

To start anew, I would like to set up with the following.

20 gallon long - brand new tank
Eheim 2215 - used
Zoomed 501 - used (just for surface aggitation and easy Purigen replacement)
Marineland LED 36" - used

Planning to add 15lbs of Pool filter sand (bottom layer) & 15 lbs of Seachem Fluorite Black Sand (top layer). Both inert substrates with the Fluorite Black Sand a little beneficial for plants like Eco Complete.

My main concern is how do I get pH to 7.0 using 100% RO? It appears a pH of 6.8 - 7.2 is desirable for OEBT's I've read. My 100% RO has a pH of about 6.0. I don't want to have to mix with tap water for bacterial infection prevention. And I see a lot of breeders keep them in kH of 1-2 too. Is that necessary or can I keep it at 0? gH I see is pretty standard like neo's which are between 5-6.
Your pH should not stay at 6.0 after you re-mineralize and mix your water. The salts you add (if they have some KH) should bring your pH up closer to 7.0, plus some of the CO2 that gets dissolved in your RO water during the RO filtering process, should come out of solution when you mix the water. I wouldn't worry about that.

For OEBT, I've been mixing a 1/2 tsp of Salty Shrimp GH+ and 1/2 teaspoon of Kent RO Right per 5 gallons. This gives them a little KH. This seems to be working for me, but I am using AZOO plant grower substrate, which is a mildly active substrate.

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Maybe I missed it, but are you remineralizing the RO?

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Planning to remineralize with Fluval Shrimp Supplement

I see that all the recommended ways to raise pH would also raise kH. I guess kH of 1-2 doesn't bother the OEBTs?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNemoShrimp View Post
Planning to remineralize with Fluval Shrimp Supplement

I see that all the recommended ways to raise pH would also raise kH. I guess kH of 1-2 doesn't bother the OEBTs?
They like having a KH of 1-ish, in my experience.

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

I never thought I was ever ask this again because I had such bad experiences, but what if I add a tiny Seriyu Stone? I know they raise kH and pH which is pretty much perfect for OEBT's. I know it raises gH too but I don't think OEBT's mind that either.

They can do with gH of 5-10ish right? Assuming its a small enough size to keep the kH and pH higher, probably better than mixing with tap and other junks right?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have 10lbs of seriyu in my 12 long. I've only added remineralized ro to a gh of 5 for the past 5 or so months. My parameters are gh 6 kh 3-4 ph 7.4 tds200-220. Oebt are breeding like cockroaches. I do twice weekly water changes to keep params in check. Seems to be working great for me so far, females have not been unberried for more than 24 hours and at last count there were like 80 babies with new ones appearing every day. Just had my third female berry with f3 two days ago. I received them as juvies in January. Hope this helps.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
OEBTs like higher PH than 7. If you want to raise these shrimps why are you using RO water? Just use tap water and condition it.

I use tap @ 7.6 and Amquel+ by Kordon for water conditioner. They also like cooler water too.

I have raised over 300+ OEBT in the last 3 years on straight tap and pea gravel with only water conditioner added for top ups, never changed out the water either.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyghost2 View Post
OEBTs like higher PH than 7. If you want to raise these shrimps why are you using RO water? Just use tap water and condition it.

I use tap @ 7.6 and Amquel+ by Kordon for water conditioner. They also like cooler water too.

I have raised over 300+ OEBT in the last 3 years on straight tap and pea gravel with only water conditioner added for top ups, never changed out the water either.
each colony of oebt is different. My breed at pH 6.5 with a gH of 5.

Also sometimes tap is bad cause of toxins like copper. My schools tap is 7.6
which was perfect, but something in the water kills every shrimp. Even kills neos >.>

On the safe side, I would use R.O. and params are easier to control. The params also should depend on where u get the shrimp....the more different your water is, the harder it is for them to acclimate to your tank.

Seiryu stone also is quite variable. Some sets of stone leech more than others so it's effect on gH is VERY VERY YMMV. Sometimes its all been leeched out, sometimes it isn't. If u have had a history of severe leeching with ur stone, then its probably not a good idea.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Also people's tap is different. Mine is pH 7.8-8, gh 11, kh 18.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 AM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
Why don't you mix tap and RO, find a good middle ground and if you need to remineralize from there you are good. Crush coral works in tiger tanks I use it to keep the KH and GH up a bit. It never worked well in my crs or cbs tanks but tigers I always have 2 tables spoons in each tank

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

Finnex Pimp #8
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Mixing tap or just straight tap varies by location. Not all waterways are treated the same way and where I am I think the city doesn't do a very good job with tap. My tap comes out at about 400 TDS, gH of 18 and kH of 18 + some other weird stuff. Can't really raise anything in it so have to resort to RO and work the parameters up from there :/

I like the idea of Seriyu Stones. Just add one small stone, check the parameters and see, once it stays around PH of 7.5 I'll be good

Tags
oebt, orange eye blue tiger, orange eyed blue tigers, shrimp behaviour, shrimp breeding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode