why why !!! arrrg - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/97%)
Cool why why !!! arrrg

I just don't understand why some of my crs/cbs are losing their white body color.

7Gal rimless tank, Here is the water parameters

TDS: 125
GH: 5
KH: 1-2
PH: 6.6
Temp: 71
Ammonia: 0

*** I have ADA Aquasoil, two piece of driftwood, taiwan/xmas mosses, 2 cholla, use (1) IAL, 1 large marimos ball.

This tank is running for 4-5 months now.

I do water change once of every week, use 100% RO water with mineral added from Mosura Ultra Plus

Food: Mosura Specialty Food and Omega One Veggies.

I also noticed, some of my young baby 2-3cm size are also losing the white body too. What's going on? Can someone give me suggestion here? The parents are SSS grade.

Last edited by Master503; 04-01-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
I know this is frustrating, dude. People here are GREAT at helping though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Parameter-wise it all looks good. You can increase the GH/TDS to enhance the colour but may then get molting issue if too high. Did they ever have good white colour? If not, maybe that's just what they are.

Also, I wouldn't call 2-3cm shrimps baby, well I do but that means something else ;-)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master503 View Post
I just don't understand why some of my crs/cbs are losing their white body color.

7Gal rimless tank, Here is the water parameters

TDS: 125
GH: 5
KH: 1-2
PH: 6.6
Temp: 71
Ammonia: 0

*** I have ADA Aquasoil, two piece of driftwood, taiwan/xmas mosses, 2 cholla, use (1) IAL, 1 large marimos ball.

I do water change once of every week, use 100% RO water with mineral added from Mosura Ultra Plus, Omega One Veggies.

I also noticed, some of my young baby 2-3cm size are also losing the white body too. What's going on? Can someone give me suggestion here? The parents are SSS grade.
Some possibilities:

1) Maybe your KH is too high. Mine is zero, and my shrimp are very white. Salty Shrimp GH+ will allow you to have a GH of 5 and a KH of 0.

2) How much water do you change? You might be stressing them by changing too much water, and/or too often.

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@randyl: Their parents are SSS grade and did have good white color body. If I increase the TDS, will the GH increase as well? or just TDS? Because I use Mosura Ultra Plus mineral so I am not sure how that handle?

@Lexinverts: I am using the Mosura Ultra Plus mineral with 100% RO Water, how can this control over the KH ? Do you have extra/spare Salty Shrimp GH+ I am willing to get some from you to test out about it? What's your current TDS level ? does it stay stable?

#2 I am changing 2Gal of water each time, I took out 2gal old water and then replace back 2gal water of RO mixed with Mosura Ultra Plus mineral from the bucket, I did level to 100 ppm TDS before I put into the tank. Because, once I filled back 2Gal into the tank, I let it run for about an hour and test the TDS, it's back on 120-125. After few days, I tested TDS again, sometime it up to 140-150TDS. Does it normal ?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Quote:
@randyl: Their parents are SSS grade and did have good white color body. If I increase the TDS, will the GH increase as well? or just TDS? Because I use Mosura Ultra Plus mineral so I am not sure how that handle?

@Lexinverts: I am using the Mosura Ultra Plus mineral with 100% RO Water, how can this control over the KH ? Do you have extra/spare Salty Shrimp GH+ I am willing to get some from you to test out about it? What's your current TDS level ? does it stay stable?
Sorry, no, but I can tell you where you can order some if you want to try it. Send me a PM.

I have not used the Mosura Ultra Mineral plus before so others are more qualified to comment here. Maybe a KH of 2 is okay with this stuff, but it seems a little high to me.

Salty Shrimp GH+ must just have a lower ratio of KH to GH in the mix, so you can have 0 and 5, respectively. My TDS is usually around 185-200 ppm.

Quote:
#2 I am changing 2Gal of water each time, I took out 2gal old water and then replace back 2gal water of RO mixed with Mosura Ultra Plus mineral from the bucket, I did level to 100 ppm TDS before I put into the tank. Because, once I filled back 2Gal into the tank, I let it run for about an hour and test the TDS, it's back on 120-125. After few days, I tested TDS again, sometime it up to 140-150TDS. Does it normal ?
I would say that 30% water changes every week is more than you need, and it *could* be stressing your shrimp. You will do fine with 10% water changes ever 2 weeks. You should top off with 100% RO water.

What do you use for filtration?

"Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. Well I say that there are some things we don't want to know. Important things!" Ned Flanders

Last edited by Lexinverts; 04-01-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Addition
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Lexinverts

Ah! I will control back the WC amount weekly to bi-weekly at 10% each time.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Mineral Plus Ultra should not be increasing your KH, does the RO water your using have a 0 KH? Mosura also makes a product called TDS Up which will raise your TDS without increasing your GH or KH if you wanted to try and increase your TDS without impacting your other parameters.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'd agree less water change is something you can try first. I don't quite understand how you change the water but if you do 30% weekly, then definitely try to do less and observe.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
What filtration do you have? In small tank a lot of WC can only harm .Try 10% every week or even 2 weeks, dripping method will be preferable. You can use Tom Aquatics Aqua-Lifter Dosing Pump .
Your parameters lock OK except KH. It can be bacterial infection too. You can find it out very easy.
Start dosing Melafix for 5 days if the colors get better there is bacteria in the tank.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@plamski,

Will Melafix kill the shrimp? umm how much dose in there? if for a 7gals tank.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
No atleast not in the recommended doses. I use melafix once a week with water change. It is simply tea tree oil.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 AM
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (470/100%)
If their colors turn dull with parameters like that I would say bacteria infection might be a case. YMWV.

However I do want to point out that if you use M Ultra Plus (what I use), don't aim for "TDS" because each tank differs but I know MUP is very good at keeping TDS low. I don't think "low" is necessarily bad since TB keepers usually keeps their waters between 90-120ppm. What is most important is gH and everyone's gH will differ depending on what's in their tank. For mine, between a 4-5 gh my TDS reads 120ppm so that is my set point. I made sure it is as stable to that as possible.

My shrimps are perfectly beautiful and solid colored ATM and my TDS is like 120ppm. And actually I am treating them right now as if they have bacteria infection since I have had some mysterious deaths. 10% w/c daily followed by 1/2 dose Melafix daily, and so far no more deaths in the last 3 days (fingers crossed)

`.. ....`...Miss My - I'm 28 - Pharmacist.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1/2 dose like half teaspoon?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Melafix can kill only very sick or shrimps with bad genetic. I did experiment with TB's, CRS and neos x5 recommended dosage for a week .It kill only 1-2% of the shrimps.

Melafix can kill only very sick or shrimps with bad genetic. I did experiment with TB's, CRS and neos x5 recommended dosage for a week .It kill only 1-2% of the shrimps.
It won’t cure the shrimps but will stop infection spreading. Do 50% WC every day too.
After a week if problem still occur you have to try antibiotics.
I have been thru Paraguard, melafix, hydrogen peroxide, maracyn-2 regime for 5 weeks already. Still I can’t find single reliable working drug.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode