RO water help for CRS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
RO water help for CRS

So I want to keep CRS. I can get RO water from my LFS but I don't know how to remineralize it. Can you recommend stuff like Salty Shrimp? What are the best GH, KH, etc? I have ADA Amazonia, so that should help buffer, right? Do I need mineral balls?

ADA Gentleman #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Here's a good starter for ya: http://shrimpery.com/shrimps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's great! But can you help with all these RO remineralizers?

ADA Gentleman #1

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I personally use Salty Shrimp and have been very pleased with it. No, you do not need mineral balls.

and

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I just put that in RO water at the recommended dose and all of a sudden it's safe for shrimpies?

ADA Gentleman #1

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Safe? All RO water is safe for shrimp.

You need hardness to raise the TDS at the specific value for your specie. TDS is linked to the water's osmotic pressure, that's how it affects shrimp. Once the tank is started, you need to bring the TDS up or down and use the remineralizer to raise the TDS which with RO/DI can be 0 or close. This is why large water changes are to be avoided with sensible shrimp.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you! Very scientific- my dad would be proud!
Well the shrimp need hardness and TDS to survive, so RO is not safe straight.

ADA Gentleman #1

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
No, it's not. RO water is devoid of all minerals and shrimp need minerals to a certain degree. That's why it has to be remineralized. You can however top off evaporation with just RO water since as water evaporates, it leaves the minerals behind in the tank. So as the water evaporates, the minerals concentrate. That's why it's important to keep the tank topped off so that the parameters don't change.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yepper. TDS is necessary for shrimp. RO with 0 TDS would pretty much mean a slow death for them. That's why you use a remineralizer. The amount of TDS and GH depends on the shrimp.

and

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Long story short, water osmosis phenomenon means water molecules will tend to move to a denser liquid from a less denser as to dilute the denser one. The speed with which this phenomena happens is called osmotic pressure. The greater density difference the larger the osmotic pressure.

All fresh water organisms are hyper osmotic, meaning they have denser fluids inside of them as opposed to the surrounding water. TDS controls the surrounding water's density. The larger the TDS the higher the density. All aquatic organisms have ways of regulating the density of their internal fluids to some degree. This process is called osmoregulation and it's performed by all fresh water creatures, as far as I know.

This osmoregulation process has a low and high watermark and it's specific to individual species. Because of that, you will need to maintain the TDS to a specific range for the specie you are keeping.

What happens when the TDS is lower than the low watermark of your creature's osmoregulatory system: water molecules from the surrounding environment will create an osmotic pressure and actually "push" into the creature making the osmoregulatory system work extra to try to compensate the dilution of internal fluids.

When TDS is too high, the reverse is happening but this is slightly easier to compensate and causes less damage.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode