Halocaridina rubra / Opae ula in Brackish water tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Halocaridina rubra / Opae ula in Brackish water tank

Hi,

It's now been a week I own my Halocaridina rubra / Opae ula / Hawaiian red shrimps. I keep them in a low-tech 7L brackish water tank. The salinity is about 1010-1015 ; made from Instant Ocean. The light is a Lumivie RAN02 Marine Lamp (2W LED). There are also (3) Melanoide tuberculatus and Chaetomorpha in the tank. The hardscape is made of "simple" sand and Lava rock. Not filter/skimmer or any mechanical stuff ; I went the low-tech way (as it works on my fresh water tank).

So far, they are doing well. The Melanoide act as the one I have in fresh water so I expect the water to be OK (mostly regarding food, Nitrates and O2). I have put a bit of spirulina powder 2 weeks before introducing the Melanoides. And waited for 3 more weeks before introducing the shrimps.

Now, the shots

The tank.

One of the 10 shrimps.

Everybody knew it was impossible to achieve. Some idiot wasn't aware of it. And just did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not so good shot of the shrimp. But I could check that there is plenty of food in this tank

Everybody knew it was impossible to achieve. Some idiot wasn't aware of it. And just did it.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Those shrimp look awesome. After reading Rob in Pullyup's thread they seem like a cool shrimp to keep.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice looking shrimp! Where can I buy those shrimps?
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They seem to be easy to get from the US. I got mine from Italy.

Tonight, I discovered that one shrimp have molted.

Funny how complete this one is

post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I really like the black lava rock. Wonderful molt picture. Good luck with your Opae.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
very nice...

i kept mine for over 5 months now..

i know i started out with 25 or so and down to 18.. did a major rescape and changes

late in the evening, i was shinning a light to see what will attract to it and i see small creature swimming up to it...not sure if it's shrimp or what...but it very small...

Eheim Pimp Club #506
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What do you guys feed them with? Normal algae waffles or shrimp food like borneowild food?
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 AM
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)
Re: Halocaridina rubra / Opae ula in Brackish water tank

I feed mine the same foods that I feed my freshwater shrimp.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;29 gallon Endler's only;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

;
; 10 gallon Opae Ula tank, started Nov 21, 2012.

Now... I'm out of room!
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianzh View Post
What do you guys feed them with? Normal algae waffles or shrimp food like borneowild food?
I don't really feed them

I have put Spirulina powder about a month before the shrimps came in. I have dropped one JBL NovoPrawn pellet a few weeks ago. Yesterday I dropped a JBL Spirulina flake. The JBL stuff does not seem to please them as-is. I could see the pellet melting during days on the rock it fell on and no shrimps on it. But finally, that rock zone is clean again ; I expect the shrimps and/or the snail to have eaten it.

The glass gets green parts. I expect those to be eatable algae. And I don't think I'm that wrong because shrimps get more and more red. I only clean the front glass to actually be able to see what happens. Last time I check, a few days ago, they really looked like Neocaridina heteropoda var. Sakura.

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice! The tank looks so matured, happy shrimp!

|

|
|

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Opae Ula Crazed.

PT...

It could be that the opae ula don't recognize the food you're giving them. Once they've discovered it they'll flock to it, burying it under their red herd!

;

;

Now... I'm out of room!
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Puyallup View Post
PT...

It could be that the opae ula don't recognize the food you're giving them. Once they've discovered it they'll flock to it, burying it under their red herd!
Yeah, maybe. At least, I checked this morning and the flake has disappeared.

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Opae Ula Crazed.

BTW... I'm still feeding my opae ula every other day. Once they get used to being fed they'll investigate anything that falls in the tank.

;

;

Now... I'm out of room!
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Halocaridina rubra

I don't really feed them anymore at all. I think they had one Spirulina flake in a month. I think (and hope) they feed from those algae. In fact, I can see them harvesting the rock.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode