A Little Black and Blue! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
A Little Black and Blue!

Ok, so i've just begun my newest project and i have to say i'm very excited. This is my first true selective breeding process, not just culling but actually pairing for specific results. So, a little background on this. I have a female neo that is jetblack, coming directly from a chocolate line. She was berried for the first time, but i was unsure if the father was a blue velvet, red cherry, or even a snowball. After two weeks she dropped the eggs which is a bummer, butttt im not that upset about it. It was her first batch of eggs and ive had lots of shrimp drop their first round so onwards and upwards! Ok so first, the setup. This is going to be a two part experiment. The setup is a 15 gallon with two medium marina breeder boxes hooked on the outside of the tank (pic 1). The left box is full of christmas moss, the right box has some taiwan moss in it. The main tank houses various neos and some crs. mainly a cull tank. Second, the players. As i said this is a two part experiment so i'm using one male, and two females. The male (pic 2) is a chocolate with good coloring and a nice dark patch on his head which will make sense shortly. The first female (pic 3) is a proven blue velvet that is saddled and ready to go. My hope for this pairing at this point is really unknown, just wanna see where i can take it. The second female (pic 4) is my black neo. The goal here is to try and develop a black line. i realize the male is not that dark, but im hoping with that dark patch on his head that he has genes that can be beneficial to my ultimate goal. Right now i have all three in the right box, my plan is once females are berried, seperate them one to a container, and remove the male and see what babies come out! This is the beginning of what im anticipating to be a long journey, and i encourage any and all input as i am a little shaky on my genetics and am sure i will be running into many obstacles. One of the things i love about this hobby is the social and sharing aspect this website provides, which is why i want to document this and share my experiences with everyone as we collaborate on this hobby/passion/outright obsession we all enjoy! I will update as progress allows. Thanks all

Last edited by Duck5003; 03-02-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
that is one nice black female neo! i wish you lots of luck
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Sounds like a very fun experiment. Looks like you have thought this through pretty well and I am interested in following along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds interesting, will be fun to see what come of this!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
So cool. Good luck!

18g (Red Cherry Neo Shrimp | Malawa Shrimp)
7.5g (Yellow Neo Shrimp)
3.2g (Pumpkin Neo Shrimp)
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good luck on your project! Are you using an air pump for your breeder boxes?

UC Davis-Class of 2015
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments and encouragment all! Its gonna be a fun one. And yes to the air pumps. I really like these breeder boxes, very sturdy and have a nice cirulation back to the main tank. And so far the shrimp have loved them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So an update on this, and im sorry to say, its a sad one My female black neo died....Over the last month or so, she berried one more time with 3 berries, and dropped them within 2 days. I'm not sure if she was infertile or what but she was a fun shrimp to have! That project will have to go on hold for now, however i am working on another project that im equally excited about so we'll see where that goes! As for the BV female and the chocolate males, they are back in there respective tanks. I'm still going to try something with the chocolate males but i may switch the female to a DBV and see where that goes! Anyway i'll update once i get it all situated. Happy shrimping!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-14_09-31-47_917.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	132066  

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Sorry to hear she died, Ryan. She was a beaut!

The new project sounds interesting. Keep us informed.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode