Tank setup help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Tank setup help

Ok going to start purchasing stuff this week to setup my 20 gallon long shrimp breeding tank. I currently have CRS and Supreme Reds in a 5 gallon but want to transfer them to something a little bigger in hopes they will make sexy time Anyway I was just going to use an air powered sponge filter but decided since its going in the living room I want something quieter. I am considering an Eheim 2213 as I already have one on my Mini M tank and love it. Question is, is that enough filtration for a 20 long or is there a better canister filter? I am going to put the sponge over the intake of the filter btw. Another question is if I buy a sponge to go over the intake can I also put the sponge filter already in my 5 gallon in the tank and just not have it running ( basically so stuff can just grow on it or is that pointless)?
Next question is about substrate. I currently have ADA Aquasoil Amazonia in all my tanks but was wondering if there were others that weren't so expensive that would still buffer the PH? How about the Fluval Shrimp Stratum? Thanks everyone for the help

Last edited by dr3ww3rd; 03-28-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I often times take an actively used sponge or bio-media bag and toss it into a newly cycling tank to help speed up the cycling process.

Shrimp seem to love to pick at 'old' or 'active' sponges or bio-media for food as well.

A sponge with no air going through it will still attract bio-film, bacteria, etc. but obviously not in the same quantity as if the sponge filter was being run with air.

Anything with a massive surface area and coarse type surface seems to attract both bacteria and the bio-film and micro-organisms that shrimp seem to love.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
My local fish store (not a chain) squeezed out a big sponge for me to have for free. I do shop them a lot

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Might have to take you up on that haha. I currently have a sponge filter in the 5 gallon tank but I'm afraid the biofilm from one sponge filter in a 20 gallon isn't going to be enough plus if I use ada Amazonia it will still leach ammonia correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
personaly i love my fluval shrimp stratum. took my ph from 7.5 tap down to 5 when it was brand new. after about 5 months of so the ph was 6 in the tank and has stayed there for the year. i got it last february and really need to replace it as its really breaking down now. so it has lasted about a year. it still buffers well even with out the use of ro water. but i guess it can be hit or miss. i will prob get more before i set up tanks when i move. ive read a that up aqua shrimp sand is pretty good but its more on the costly side and i have not personaly tried it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok sounds good. So what about my canister filter question

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
that i dont know i only use sponges on my shrimp tanks....well i have on hagen elite mini inturnal filter running in a tank so i dont know anything about cannisters
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Someone else want to chime in on canister filters then?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I know that the AquaTop CF300 is a perfect canister for a 20L tank. I have one and love it. There's a huge thread all about it and the feedback is overwhelmingly positive. Of course the Eheims are workhorses too...you can't go wrong with one, you just have to match the size to the tank.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So given the fact they are the same price should I go with eheim 2213 which I know is built well and is dead quiet or the cf300?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
If they are the same price get the eheim. I have both of those canisters. The aquatop is fine, but the eheim is clearly a better build.

Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Cool that's what I was thinking. Now would the eheim 2213 with a sponge or SS guard over the intake be enough filtration? Might even jump up to a 2215 since i have to spend over $100 at bigalsonline to get 10% off anyway. I have the air powered sponge filter as well but I honesty don't like all the noise it makes plus it splashes water everywhere when the oxygen bubbles come to the waters surface and pop

Last edited by dr3ww3rd; 03-29-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: .
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
To eliminate the water splash or noise, you can actually raise the tube above the surface of the water if desired. As long as the water is flowing from the top of the pipe out, it is still doing it's job.

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
The CF300 IMO is plenty of filtration on a 20L so I'm sure the Eheim equivalent would be too. If you went the larger size, it would definitely be enough. What I did was took the sponge from a sponge filter and covered the canister intake. So I'm getting the best of both worlds with one unit. Lots of sponge area for shrimp to graze and protection for the baby shrimp from the canister.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Re: Tank setup help

I personally use SS filter guard over the intake because sponges usually clog if you don't keep up with maintenance.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode