cherry shrimp and UV - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
Did you look at the DIY section?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My thinking has been invert-ed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
my next step will be UV-B and then UV-C.

the UV-C tests will have nothing to do with breeding. they will be a part of an ongoing study on mutogenisis. I can already get the lamps for that though, so I'm not worried about building them. its the UV-A and UV-B lamps that I cant get...
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

UV-A http://www.topbulb.com/find/prod_lis...Category_E_771

UV-B http://www.topbulb.com/find/prod_lis...Category_E_798

and

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

for some reason it never occurred to me to look in DIY. I searched the lighting section.

my studies studies in Arabic have left me a bit scatter brained lately.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

الأفضل أن تكون الخرقاء. كنت لا تريد المفقودين العقول!

and

post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

as they say, a mind is a terrible waste of space.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Lol

and

post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what would be another good shrimp for this purpose? i think amanos might show a decent response to uv, so ill include them in the experiment as well. if one side colors up more than the other, im pretty sure that we can exclude the possibility that it is due to genetics.

that is, unless people are breeding different strains of amano shrimp...

from what i understand, most amanos are still pretty much all wild types. what i have noticed, however, is my amanos turned two different colors while in the same tank. when i had them under normal lights they were pretty much clear, but in the over driven tank with the reef lights on it, they have all turned dark green except for two, which turned a burnt orange.

it has me thinking... if UV does play a role in how the shrimp expresses its genes for color, it could be useful as a tool to help with selective breeding.

in other words, if you put two shrimp side by side, both young, and get them to produce pigment in their shells by exposing them to UV, then you may be able to take a wild type shrimp and selectively breed for the traits you want.

i have collected palaemonetes all over the east coast from key west to virginia and each wild population shows slightly different color patterns. the annoying thing is that they usually lost much of their color after several molts in my tank. the ones that didnt lose their color were the redish tinted shrimp from the sandhill game lands in north carolina.
the water there blocks UV light, and the water is dark, so im sure UV had the least to do with their colors. the most colorful ones came from a remote spring that fed into the tannin stained suwannee river. they had bright blue and red bands on their legs, and green tinted bands on their bodies. just 20 meters downstream in the suwannee however, and they were all pretty much colorless. that was my first indication that it might be light that plays a part in their color, since they were the exact same species of shrimp, but there was a wide variation in color depending on how clear the water was.

if i were to breed shrimp that produced the most response to UV, i have no idea what the outcome would be. all i know is that i would be selecting for something...

ill have to try it and see i guess. arabic takes up on average 10 hours of my day, and it will for the next 56 weeks. i need something to think about on my off time so that i dont go crazy. this is my favorite part of the hobby. i dont give a hoot about having the most beautiful shrimp. i dont regard one shrimp over the next. what i want is to do something nobody has done, answer questions that nobody has satisfactorily answered. just look at what i have been doing with algae. i would gladly trade the highest grade shrimp for the lowest grade shrimp if it meant i could learn how to do something new.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am currently testing this with reptile UVB & UVA lights. As stated above, in the wild they would have full access to this as they require. Cold blooded animals soak in the sun as needed, some have developed so they do not need any, but most do. Of course we know our shrimp get what they need from the room lights and the tank lights, my reason for testing is for the planted tank. However, I will tell you they love it. They will all move to the spot where the UVB light focus hits the bottom of the tank, so it is not being completely filtered out by the water. With a UVA light, they do not notice it whatsoever. My tests have been on a 10 gallon planted tank and with both Cherries and Crystal Red/Blacks. For some reason, it seems the Bee shrimp do not enjoy it as much as the Neos do. The bees do soak it up, but not as much as the Cherries...they are crazy for it.
In my opinion, this is not required for either plants or shrimp but it is a treat for them. It certainly will cause no harm and fun to experiment with. However if you have any issues with alge I would not suggest playing with this as it will really feed your problem.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Algae Grower

On an unrealted to UV note my cherries really colored up when I fed them nori. Have you ever tried it?
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Banned

Just some ones about UV and Actinic lights.

UV is calssified A B C depending on the wavelength of light.

UVA 315nm to 400nm

UVB 280nm to 315nm

UVC 100nm to 280nm

Visible light 400nm (Violet) yo 700nm (deep red)

UVC will kill everything (plants animals and bacteria) in your tank. Don't do any experiments with it. It can blind you and your shrimp before it kills. UVB is primarily reposonsibel for sunburns.UVB lights should be handled with caution. They can blind and cause very sever sun burns. UVA is the weakest UV light used in tanning beads and is needed by reptiles and mammals to make vitamin D. UVC is blocked by the ozone layer in the atmosphere. Only UVA and less UVB make it to the ground.

Only UV and violet light (380nm to 450nm) will cause objects to Fluoresce (emit light). The alexandrite affect only involves selective reflection of visible light. Two very different affects

Actinic lights are designed to strongly emit violet light with some Blue light and a small amount of UVA 8 light (about 5% UVA) They are popular in reef aquarium because the corals Fluoresce under this light without causing any harm to to the coral or animals in the aquarium. Most common white lights on the market are weak in violate light and don't produce any UV.
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:34 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakali View Post
On an unrealted to UV note my cherries really colored up when I fed them nori. Have you ever tried it?
Just a head's up but this thread was 7 years old.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Just a head's up but this thread was 7 years old.
Lol true and I didnt realized that after I saw the date but its a very interesting experiment that Im curious on the results. Im hoping OP will get notifications from us bumping the thread
rakali likes this.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Planted Member

Oh wow, I'm glad someone revived this old thread because this is EXACTLY the question I've wondering myself. Seems like the original experiment has dissipated, I am wondering if anyone else has done similar experiments?

All I can say is, I have 2 neos in a direct sunlight tank, and those 2 are 30% LARGER than adult neos in my main and cull tank. The male is even larger than the females in my main tank. Seems like sunlight makes them grow bigger based on my tiny sample size lol
rakali likes this.

--UN--
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
More sunlight, more algae, more shrimp food.

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode