Ok so I spur of the moment bought 20 crs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
cjj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ok so I spur of the moment bought 20 crs

uhhh yeah so I have til roughly monday to try and get my tank ready for them please bombard me with details. I would really like to not kill them and was intending to raise some eventually but I got a really good deal imo 20 shipped for $36.

I am uploading pictures from my very slow crappy phone right now but here are the details.

55g
hang on filter
sand on top of organic soil
several patches of hair grass
several patches of flame moss
1 patch of glosso

I will take all the help I can get. I really dont know a whole lot about what im doing so feed me information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
All you really do is acclimate them slowly to you tank and hope for the best. What are your water parameters?

Rod
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
cjj
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcuda View Post
All you really do is acclimate them slowly to you tank and hope for the best. What are your water parameters?
No idea what would i need to buy to get my gh/ph/tds?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
you need to test your pH, KH, GH, and TDS. Try to keep the temp cool. If you are using RO water you will need to remineralize with GH booster.
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What are your current water parameters?
How old is the tank?

Take that heater out.

Place a fluval sponge prefilter in that intake:

Buy a digital TDS meter from eBay

Buy a GH/KH test kit (API)

If you don't have test kits get an API freshwater master test kit.

Please don't get "test strips"

Buy fluval mineral, or mosura mineral plus to get your GH right (you can get foods and supplements like those from h4n, here at TPT)

First of all, go to the FAQ sticky in this subforum and read at least the first link.

How is your tap water? Can you use RO/DI water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Be careful with that betta in the tank!

|
|
|
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
Be careful with that betta in the tank!
Yeah take that betta out, $36 food for a betta is pretty expensive

How old is this tank what are your ammonia/ nitrite/ nitrate in your tank?
Ammonia and nitrite need to be 0 at all times.

and all the rest other people told you already.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
cjj
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
Yeah take that betta out, $36 food for a betta is pretty expensive

How old is this tank what are your ammonia/ nitrite/ nitrate in your tank?
Ammonia and nitrite need to be 0 at all times.

and all the rest other people told you already.

So what is all the things I need to test this stuff? And how do i keep the ammonia and nitrite level at 0 once I can test?
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

To test your pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels you need to but an API Master test kit. For Gh&KH you need to buy an API set for that too. If these levels arent suitable (or stabilized) before you get your shrimp, i'd consider jeeping them somewhere else for the time being.

How old is your tank? It seems you're saying it's fairly new, which isnt good news. If the tank is not cycled, there is no bacteria to convert toxic ammonia/nitrites. If possible, try to get a bacterial "seed" from a friend or try a bacterial supplement to help boost the bacteria colony, like Tetra Safestart. You saved money by jumping the gun on the shrimp, but it might end up causing you to last minute buy lots of things like those listed above. Once your ammonia/nitrite hits 0 (if it hasnt already) it should remain 0. It is known to take several weeks to get those levels to 0 so this may be a problem if you have a new tank, even with a seed.

If the tank is cycled then you should just be "fine tuning" the water to CRS conditions. consistency is key. Constant change of water parameters = unhappy/stressed shrimp. That's why you should get those test kits so you know how suitable your water is for them.

|
|
|
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you aren't ready, try contacting the seller if they can hold the shrimp for you, say like a week or two. They should understand and still honor your deal when you PM that you're ready

|
|
|
post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
First priority is to get your water parameters to their ideal.

- assess where your tank water is at the moment. While doing so, test your source water (tap) and see if they can sustain crs.

- adjust your tank to their ideal water parameters (tcs, gh, ph, kh). also test for ammonia, nitrates and nitrides as they all should be reading 0. A little heads up. if your tank and tap water is poluted, you might be looking at getting 55 gallons of distilled or R/O in the next few days to get this tank setup.

- relocate the betta

- increase water circulation. you have a long tank so consider adding an airstone to the opposite end of where the HOB is.

Its only a deal if its worthwhile. If you end up killing all these shrimps, you might as well have burned $36 while ending 20 lives. I'd say no one came out ahead except the seller.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
cjj
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
First priority is to get your water parameters to their ideal.

- assess where your tank water is at the moment. While doing so, test your source water (tap) and see if they can sustain crs.

- determine how much work you need to do to adjust your tank to their ideal water parameters (tcs, gh, ph, kh). also test for ammonia, nitrates and nitrides as they all should be reading 0

- move the betta to another tank

- increase circulation. you have a long tank so consider adding an airstone to the opposite end of where the HOB is.
Ok so i can get the fluval and the api test kit today. I just added 4 plants 2x Rotala a micro sword and a crypt ill remove the betta tonight and the tank has been running since the 12th.

Ive dosed with malafix at water changes and a dechlorinator but I havnt changed the filter for the hob filter.

Anything more I can do? They are supposed to arrive monday/tuesday.

If the community can somehow help me not kill these guys I will raok some of my first ... born or birthed w/e.
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
This isn't the time to be decorating the tank so forget the rotala, microswords and crypts. These dont do anything in the near term other than look pretty.

The plants you ought to be "using" are fast growers that absorb and neutralize any parameters spikes. get a ton of floaters, anacharis and even hornwort. These actually benefit the tank and are not there for aesthetics.

also your ammonia, nitrate and nitrides will remain at 0 once the tank is cycled. If you cycled the tank with a single betta, you have quite a road ahead since the tank really isnt capable of handling more load than what bacteria could survive off the little bettas ammonia waste.

Concider getting bacteria in the bottle. Ive received suggestions to use Dr Tim's products to accelerate cycling. The 16 oz bottle is pretty reasonably priced. Read the link below for more details. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=25252

BTW, If these shrimp are arriving monday, you shouldn't be ordering anything online as it will never make it in time. Get everything locally and immediately. Anyone that suggests ordering online doesn't appreciate the urgency of your situation.

Also, if you've never kept shrimp in a large tank before, extra attention is needed to ensure that the biofilm is developed and that feedings are done in multiple locations... Whatever you saved upfront with the shrimp will be paid out in spades prepping the tank. Boy, you surely set yourself up to a boat load of work this weekend, i kid you not. If you fail to provide the proper environment, you will see them die off every few days, with the longest surviving one live about 1.5 to 2 months... seen this happen too many times in this hobby. I tried helping coworkers who were too proud, saying everything was fine, all their shrimp are feeding only to see the crs/cbs dwindle to zero by the second month. You are ahead of the curve (somewhat) by asking for help. None of the details ive provided is candy coated so you shouldnt be surprised when you start working on this the next few days.

Just pm me if you need more help on specifics.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector

Last edited by acitydweller; 09-28-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: bagel nosh
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

These 20 "cheap" crs are going to end up costing you a lot more. lol.

First your tank has only been setup for 16 days, hardly enough time for a full cycle if you didn't use any other filter media. Second, no where near enough time for biofilm to develop for the shrimp. Most people will setup a CRS tank for 2-3 months before adding shrimp to let the tank mature. Odd's are, your tap water isn't ideal for them in terms of gh/ph. They may live if the pH is too high but you probably won't get any breeding. Since they are already coming, I would look into setting up a small 10gal for them or something, hope they live in your tank for now and keep that as a big planted tank with the betta and have the small shrimp tank but you're looking at probably getting a $50 bag of soil, another tank, light, filter, everything if you want to do it right and have them thrive, otherwise, they will just probably live and if your pH and gH is super high, they'll probably die eventually.

Not trying to sound cruel, but they're not suited for that environment. A good example I read before was imagine you going to live in the mountains of Tibet. The people there have adjusted for thousands of years to the high altitude, and low oxygen. While you may be ok going to visit, long term effects are going to take their toll on your body and you would have a hard time being able to jog a 1/4 mile without being out of air because your body isn't designed for it.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
If the tank has been running since the 12th, that's just over two weeks. It is imperative, as others have said, that you get a test kit. Otherwise, you face instant death of all invertebrates you add to the tank. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic to shrimp.

You won't have to do anything to keep them at zero once your tank is fully cycled and safe for shrimp.

More importantly, since you're new to shrimp, are you sure you ordered Crystal Red Shrimp (CRS) or Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS)? The parameter needs of the two are quite different.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode