Ghost Shrimp Death - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Exclamation Ghost Shrimp Death

Please help! Everytime I've been buying ghost shrimp, the shrimp have died and turned white. I don't have water test kit yet, but the only other inhabitants of the 5 gallon tank (5 Endler fry, <2 weeks old) are completely fine. I know ghost shrimp are less hardy than other types of shrimp, but I wanted to make sure nothing is wrong with my tank, before I attempt to put something more expensive in it. thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I would not say less hardy, but rather most pet stores keep them in bad conditions as they are feeders.

When you say died, do you mean within 72 hours or a week or 5 minutes?

My Orange Eyed Tiger Shrimp Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
It's actually over the course of 2-3 weeks. I forgot to mention, the tank has been running for about 4 months now, without any major changes in livestock/conditions, so it should be pretty well-cycled

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ghost shrimp are pretty hardy considering how most shops keep them. I would test the water when you can to see if nitrites are out whack. Other information that may help in tracking down the issue :

Tank size
How long has it been filled
Filtration
Etc...

Sorry couldn't be more help... Is it possible to get a couple of shrimp from a different store to make sure it isn't a bad batch at the source?

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
How many are you getting at a time? Are they cloudy at all when you buy them, or more or less transparent?

You might try buying a bunch (20 or so, assuming they're cheap) and hope for 5 or 6 to survive. Get the dead shrimp out as soon as you see them during this period, though once you've got a stable population it's perfectly fine to let the shrimp eat the corpses.

As the others have said, they're quite sturdy shrimp once you get past the initial dieoff. Unfortunately your source may have been keeping them in particularly bad conditions such that they really don't stand a chance. You can expect them to die over the course of a couple of weeks to a month at the outside, but the shrimp that survive that period should last years.

To be clear, are the ghost shrimp and endler fry the only inhabitants of the tank? Have you been feeding the filter during the times when it had no inhabitants? If not, the tank likely isn't cycled. The bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle in an aquarium need a constant supply of fresh ammonia to survive, so if there have been longish periods in which the tank was empty (or only contained a few fry) then the filter can lose the bulk of its bacteria. If that's the case, you've been adding shrimp, a few die and begin decomposing, which makes lots of ammonia, which kills more shrimp, which makes more ammonia, etc. You can just add a few flakes of fish food or a few drops of ammonia (assuming the fry are out of there) and it will be enough to keep the filter going while empty.

It is possible that there is a problem with your water supply as well, things like copper are not unheard of, but I'd be more inclined to suspect either filtration or the supplier of the animals.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
What have you been feeding them?

Canon Pimp Club #008
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
From my experience they are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite. Parameters would be great to figure this problem out.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have 15 ghost/glass/grass shrimp and not one of them died. *knock on wood*
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
when talking about ghost shrimp, r u talking about Macrobrachium Lanchesteri?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscene View Post
when talking about ghost shrimp, r u talking about Macrobrachium Lanchesteri?
No. But juvi lanchesteri look nearly identical to ghost shrimp. Difference is the claws in regular ghosts are much smaller/thinner than macros.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
~.~ well planted tank should help saving the shrimps of yours.. i run the tank 2 weeks took some gravels from a cycled tank. use sponge filter, air rock for air circulation.. shrimps survived had over some crs and rcs around the tank.. none dead.. suggesting you need more aeration & plants~
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

In my experience, ghost shrimp are much more sensitive to ammonia/nitrite than fish and neos.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Shrimp are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite in general.

However,

ghost shrimp are often kept as feeder shrimp and most vendors and LFS know that.
They are kept in shallow water along with crowded numbers. Like feeder goldfish, they are kept in mass for feeding and nothing else. The vendors will keep them the same way so even if it doesn't look it on the LFS end, it might be because of the vendors.

Though it does seem true that ghost shrimp are very durable after the initial die off.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 03:26 AM

I have the same issue, but since my air pump is on, the ghost shrimps are fine. when I turned off the air pump for 1 day, 2 of them died, although they are in a well planted tank. I think the critical parameter is the aeration, if you keep the air pump on for 24/7, everything will be okay I think, but the algae...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode