The Planted Tank Forum banner

worm in shrimp tank. can you ID?

887 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Zoidburg 
#1 ·
:crying:

Got a couple of disgusting worms in the tank. Long and somehwere between brown and white in color.
attaching pic

Now I can't put my hand in there, grossed out

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Have not heard of any being parasitic to humans.

Usually, the only parasitic ones are those found in fish. There are many worms that can inhabit a tank that are not parasitic - but they do eat biofilm, waste, any type of food and even dead/decaying inhabitants.

#6 ·
It really depends on the type of worm on best way to get rid of them. Some you can kill with "meds" (betal nut extract), some aren't harmed by it. Some fish will eat, some fish ignore. Could remove all inhabitants and heat tank up above 100° F for a few hours or take the tank apart and dry everything out.

I picked up a second hand tank with substrate and about 12 newborn bloody mary shrimp. Tank was infested with detritus worms - the type that live in substrate and when they swim, it's like a snake - head steady, rest of body wriggles. I threw in some kuhli loaches and a pygmy cory and the worms disappeared. Endlers and guppies might go after the type on the walls. (not necessarily shrimp safe)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.