The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help identifying shrimp

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Griznatch 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello. I have a local mom and pop per store that carries everything from birds, to tarantulas to fish to shrimp. The guy there had gotten in some assorted colored neo shrimp in and I bought 5 to add to my tank. This one of the bath however does not look like a neo to me. Maybe I'm wrong ad I'm fairly new to shrimp but would somebody be able to help me identify? I will say she is sort of aggressive when feeding, is probably the fastest shrimp in my tank and freaks out anytime she touched something when swimming. Sorry for the bad picture. She doesn't stay in one spot for very long.

I forgot to mention she is over an inch long and is pure midnight black and shiny. Her exoskeleton looks a lot more "armored" compared to all my other shrimp as well.

Here's another picture I was just able to take

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm far from an expert but to me that looks like a black rose variant neocaridina shrimp. The reason it looks more armored and larger is because it is a female while the blue shrimp next to it in the picture is a male. Gotta say, for a grab bag of assorted neocaridina types those both look quite nice!

#4 ·
Those are both good looking shrimp! My wife has some red cherries and a few of those older females look "armor" plated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.