Low ph in shrimp tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 01:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thats a good idea but im confused, Isnt buffering substrate supposed to lower my ph? So youre saying in this case, if i add buffering substrate , it will increase my Ph. So do you think i should aim for a ph of 6.2 by adding some kh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 02:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
It will increase it a bit and level it most likely. I wouldn't add kh you don't need it. The ph you're at now isn't really accurate since you have no conductivity in the water.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 08:51 AM
Algae Grower

what do you mean by i dont have conductivity in the water and my ph isnt accurate?

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 03:31 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Some of y'all have never heard of the search function and it really shows.

Not meant to be rude but more common sense. Use the search function. Seriously. It is your friend. You'll find thousands of posts when there's something you don't quite understand. Thousands of tank journals. Thousands of in-depth discussions about issues like this.

If you're new to forums, search, search, search. New to shrimping? Same. Search.

Yes, you can and should start new discussions. But ignoring what already exists and is at your fingertips is borderline awful.
bsantucci and Discusluv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi there
Iíve had my tank set up with fluval stratum, drift wood and plants for 6 months now. I was using tap water and had my ph at 6.3 Kh 0.5 gh 5. Iíve recently switched to ro water using gh only to reconstitute to the same tds I have in my tank. I also bought a more expensive pen to monitor parameters. (All calibrated) now I have a range of ph results to choose from
Old pen 6
New pen 5.8
API test 6 ish... definitely a bit of green in there, if I add acid is goes much more yellow.
I have about 60 shrimp in there. The CRS seem to be breeding fine , but the numbers of my RCS seem to be dropping.
Iím assuming my ph is to low for the RCS to thrive. And in what Iíve read the CRS can only tolerate a pH down to 6.2
Iím now concerned that having no kH in there is allowing bigger ph swings. I was considering using some kH in my reconstituted water to try and have more buffering. Or should I remove my driftwood?
Confused about whether to just leave it be or to change something.
Louise 😐
"Fancy" shrimp can thrive in ~5 pH and potentially even lower! I have YKK's breeding in a tank that, when originally set up, was at 5.5 pH, although I'm not sure on current pH, but it's still acidic.

The pH is *NOT* an issue for your Crystals.

Would not recommend adding KH to the tank. If you raise parameters too much and have thriving Neos, then your Crystals will likely suffer. *UNLESS* they are "low end" crystals, that may live in slightly higher parameters. If they are high end crystals, such as PRL, then you definitely do not want higher parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroutvartanian630 View Post
i need help. In my 1o gallon crystal red tank i used to use fluval shrimp stratum with RO water and bee shrimp mineral to get tds 120. My Ph would be around 6.2. My stratum got old and was time to change so i decided to not use active substrate because cleaning and changing it was a nightmare. I went ahead and redid my tank a 2 months ago with regular shrimp substrate that i use for my neos by aqueon that doesnt buffer at all. Im still using RO water with bee shrimp mineral to get tds of 120. The problem starts when i went to check my ph in the tank. My ph is 5.2. The ph meter is fully calibrated so i know it is accurate. I had a lot of almond leaves and cones in the tank so i removed it but that didnt really make a difference. My question is , is 5.2 ph too low for cystral reds? My objective is to get them to breed. I dont understand why my ph is lower now vs what it was with the buffering substrate i was using which was meant to lower my ph. Should i leave it be or raise my ph to 6.2. Right now bee mineral doesnt have kh so i was thinking if i mix salty shrimp gh kh with bee shrimp mineral Gh , 60 tds each, it will give me a kh of 1, gh of 5 , and tds of 120 before i put the water in the tank and the kh shoul help to stabilize my ph around 6 . What do you think? What should i do , leave it alone or add some kh? Why is my ph lower now then i was with active substrate when i didnt change any thing else i was doing. Please help!
An alternative is to get either a HOB or HOB breeder tank and simply put substrate in there and have that circulate through the tank. When it's time to switch out the substrate, you simply remove HOB, replace substrate, put back on the tank.

The pH is *FINE* for your shrimp, too! Lack of breeding could be due to parameters, diet, age, substrate or other factors. Were they breeding on Fluval?

What is the "shrimp substrate" you are referring to? What brand?

How long have you had the crystals for?
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Zoidburg. Iíve had crystals (grade A) for about 4 months now, but just bought 10 high grade sss 2 weeks ago. My CRS are berried and loads of babies. My new ones are fine, but my RCS are slowly dying off. No new RCS babies when they were doing well a couple of months ago. I was planning on swapping over to CRS anyway as Iíve got Fluval statum and my parameters were better for them ( I think that was your advice way back when I started my tank and Iíd chosen the wrong shrimp). My problem has occurred when Iíve changed to ro water reconstituted with shrimp king gH+ doing 10% WC every 2 weeks and topping up with ro to compensate for evaporation. My gH has stayed similar at 5 but my kH which was about 0.5 is now unrecordable. My pH has dropped from about 6.3 to 5.9 (new pen meter, calibrated) API still seems to read slightly over 6.. yellow with a greenish tinge that turns completely yellow if I add a drop of my pH 4 buffer.
TDS 170.
Iíve read everyoneís advice and had decided that maybe having a small amount of kH in the water would stabilise my pH a little higher and maybe help my RCS survive. The new SSS CRS have been bred in aged tap water on aquasoil. Our tap water here is soft TDS of 120 gH 5 kH 3. So I was thinking that the small amount of kH is what I needed to solve my issue as it seems to be the only thing that has changed.
So my WC water has a pH of 7.6 kH 3 gH 7 TDS160. Iím doing 10% over 2 days. Iíve only put 5litres in at the moment... but maybe I should stop and do some more water with just gH.
I do have another tank with some fish in it (unfortunately mollies and white clouds which will hunt the shrimp) with inert substrate gH 9 kH 3.... I think I may need to catch my remaining cherries and put them in there.. Iím confused because my cherries were doing fine until I started with ro.....
any help would be great
Cheers Louise
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@[email protected] I truly wonder if this started as soon as you switched to RO water, or if there was any chance that it started prior but wasn't noticed until after the switch.

If you don't have many Neos you could get a HOB breeder tank, stick a piece of sponge on the outlet and put the shrimp in there. That way, they'd be safe from the fish?
Roboto likes this.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 03:42 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
This. Do this if you can. Terrific idea. Definitely a tool every person with a tank should have.

Hagan/Marina make three common sizes that are usually all less than US$20. If you have a small rimless tank, they may require a bit of support beneath them. But if your tank has a rim? Should be fine to use any size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
If you don't have many Neos you could get a HOB breeder tank, stick a piece of sponge on the outlet and put the shrimp in there. That way, they'd be safe from the fish?
Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes your right. I had some unexplained deaths of my neos early on aswell.. I bought the wrong shrimp for my substrate.... the tank was initially set up as a planted fish tank and before I put fish in I discovered shrimp and now itís a shrimp tank...but I knew nothing about shrimp at that stage, so I got the wrong type. They seemed to be breeding ok, so I thought they were alright, but itís obvious now that I have CRS that they are thriving and my neos arenít .. I need to try and move them into my other tank..... i have quite a few.. maybe 20... mostly males by the look of it.....
My fish in there are quite old and Iím not restocking them, so over the next year or so theyíll probably go. Then I can use that tank just for neos.....
thanks everyone for your advice !!!
Zoidburg and Roboto like this.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

Im not planning on keeping them together, It is a crs only tank. just removed the active substrate and put an inert substrate. Basically what im asking is , would adding little salty shrimp gh kh to bump up the kh to .5 so it could stabilize the ph at 6 since there is not active substrate , would that work? I would mix a little salty shrimp gh kh and the rest would be bee shrimp mineral gh that totals 120 tds. If i can stabilize my tanks ph at 6ph with a little kh instead of using an active substrate , will that be the same thing?

Bump: Thanks for the reply. Ive had the tanks for about a year. Its a ten gallon tank. The substrate i have now is aqueon shrimp substrate. I guess what im trying to ask is,would adding little salty shrimp gh kh to bump up the kh to .5 so it could stabilize the ph at 6 since there is not active substrate , would that work? I would mix a little salty shrimp gh kh and the rest would be bee shrimp mineral gh that totals 120 tds. If i can stabilize my tanks ph at 6ph with a little kh instead of using an active substrate , will that be the same thing?
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi, Iím no expert, but I know that almond leaves and cones produce tannins that drop your ph (along with driftwood which seems to be affecting mine). Itís said that the cones produce more than the leaves. I use Purigen in my filter to remove the tannins. It comes in a small 100ml bag. You could try that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode