Hydro and planaria - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Hydro and planaria

Have a new shrimp tank I'm cycling since 10/22 and I just noticed the glass covered in green hydra. I also saw a 1/4" planaria. No shrimp yet so I'm going to order some no planaria.
Since nothing is in the tank do I just do a normal dose? Do I have to worry about the remaining meds after?
Should I use charcoal after or just water change?

Sorry sidewaze pic it's straight before I uploaded.

Tank specs 9.6 gallon
Temp 74 reduced it down from 78.
Ammonia 2ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Lights 8hrs
pH 6.4
Kh 0
Gh 5
Tds 114
3/4 ml exel daily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201116_181437.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	905275  

Last edited by latchdan; 11-17-2020 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Added specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have a read of this thread @latchdan, hope it helps:

Eliminating hydra in a shrimp tank - success at last!

Hydra are easier to get rid of than planaria (I think!). I'd go with the recommended dose and make sure you do the full 3-day course (hydra will fall almost immediately, planaria might take a while longer?). Guess you could afford to over-dose slightly given no livestock in the tank yet just to be sure you eliminate all the nasties, but probably no need.

Water change after should be enough, I don't think the No Planaria hangs around much and it is shrimp safe anyway (at recommended dose etc etc) so no need to worry.

Excel *might* not be optimal for your shrimp going forward once everything stabilised. So many threads on here about that topic, assuming you haven't already seen them, but just something to consider. Worth reading the various threads and then coming to your own conclusions vs how "shrimp optimal" daily Excel dosing is.

Regards, James

P.S. Enjoy the hydra while they are there! Amazing little creatures, back light with a torch in a dark room and have a close look with a magnifiying glass. Nice to appreciate them, at least until you destroy them all reday for your shrimp!
Zoidburg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
Have a read of this thread @latchdan, hope it helps:

Eliminating hydra in a shrimp tank - success at last!

Hydra are easier to get rid of than planaria (I think!). I'd go with the recommended dose and make sure you do the full 3-day course (hydra will fall almost immediately, planaria might take a while longer?). Guess you could afford to over-dose slightly given no livestock in the tank yet just to be sure you eliminate all the nasties, but probably no need.

Water change after should be enough, I don't think the No Planaria hangs around much and it is shrimp safe anyway (at recommended dose etc etc) so no need to worry.

Excel *might* not be optimal for your shrimp going forward once everything stabilised. So many threads on here about that topic, assuming you haven't already seen them, but just something to consider. Worth reading the various threads and then coming to your own conclusions vs how "shrimp optimal" daily Excel dosing is.

Regards, James

P.S. Enjoy the hydra while they are there! Amazing little creatures, back light with a torch in a dark room and have a close look with a magnifiying glass. Nice to appreciate them, at least until you destroy them all reday for your shrimp!
Thanks for the info. I've read excel isn't great for shrimp just trying to see if it will help the plants while no shrimp yet.
This is the second time I've experienced hydra and planaria. Last time was 5 or 6 years ago in a rcs tank I had.
I just threw out expired no planaria a couple weeks ago too haha.

The hydra are pretty neat though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode