Does anyone have a thriving orange eyed blue tiger colony? - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 2 Post By rwong2k
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Zoidburg
  • 2 Post By Discusluv
  • 3 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 2 Post By Rosalaine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Does anyone have a thriving orange eyed blue tiger colony?

I was doing my weekly 10% water changes on shrimp tanks yesterday and I am all but certain that I am down to one OEBT. I bought two batches of 12 from two different sellers, IIRC both claimed that they were homebred. I kept them like bees at first since both sellers I purchased them from did, but as their numbers dwindled, I moved several over to Neo parameters just to see. They survived the transition, but over several months I've lost all (but one) of them. I even sold off my thriving mischling colony just so that I could try a male and two females in that tank since it seemed so solid. Those shrimp have since died, though seemed to be doing well for the first month or two. One female was heavily berried when I found her body. I believe I have now read every care sheet and watched every YouTube video out there on their care. There seems to be no consensus on whether they do better at 0 dKH like the sellers I bought them from, or 2-3 dKH like Mark's Shrimp Tanks suggests. But both methods failed me. In every case tanks were aged for months before adding them. Every parameter I have the ability to test is in line with what I aimed for, both in acidic aqua soil tanks and (slightly) alkaline inert. I use remineralized RO/DI water, and change the RO membranes typically before they're even due. They are fed and maintained identically to my thriving groups. I did have a few females to berry and an odd baby survive, but something is wrong here.

Neos of all colors do great for me. I've produced hundreds of crystal reds. Baubalti shrimp and super tigers have fared pretty well, though not as fecund as the formerly mentioned types; they at least have increased in numbers rather than dwindle down. But I can't seem to get OEBT to take off for the life of me. @Discusluv got into them at the same time I did, and had a similar experience. I've found thread after thread on various forums of people buying them and either having poor luck long-term or never posting again. But the folks in Singapore exporting them are managing to make thousands of them. Mark of the YouTube videos has big colonies. I know it can be done, and it's absolutely killing me that something I feel that I have more or less down pat (breeding shrimp) could seem so impossible. So I beg of anyone out there reading this who has long-term success with this specific variety of Caridina cantonensis, please share your secrets. My fingers have hovered over more "buy now" buttons than I could keep track of, but I'm not willing to put the animals through less than optimal conditions and be responsible for more deaths until I feel sure I have a wise game plan.
rwong2k and Discusluv like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great comments. My 3 colonies are doing quite well. But you'll have to know there's two major types. Tw ones are bred in soft acidic water and German ones are bred in harder alkaline waters. Make sure the breeder you're getting them from tells which type they have. I went from 20 to 3 tank full of them in a short period of time. I find them sensitive to heat and do better in cooler temperatures of water.

Good luck my friend and hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Blue Ridge Reef and Discusluv like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

Thank you for your comments, that's interesting. Now if I may ask you 10,000 questions!

You mention the two types bred in different conditions. Which types did you get? Where did you source them? Mind sharing your water parameters? Do you use RO? Guessing Salty Shrimp or Dennerle salts like most hobbyists use for remineralizing water? Would you be willing to post recent photos of your colonies and describe the set ups? I ordered the very dark ones, like in my avatar since I prefer the darker colors and planned to cull any that were light to another tank but the dozen or so I did produce we all very dark like the parents. I wouldn't think color would matter much, but we know that inbreeding can make things less hardy and I assume these "royal" OEBTs are highly inbred. Were yours bred locally or imported? Anything you do differently than with any other tiger shrimp?

All of my shrimp tanks are either unheated, or have heaters set on 60F or so in the tanks in my unheated garage addition lest we have a winter cold snap. It's definitely not a temperature issue. I feel like I need to see the tanks they are thriving in and just maybe I'll have an "ah ha!" moment. But I suspect it is likely my sources (and most other's) simply were either weak or imported, whether or not they were advertised as such.
rwong2k and Discusluv like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
They aren't known to have issues like Neos if imported... to my knowledge... but I also don't keep them. I may have first seen them at Eric's place... Eric of BuyPetShrimp. I'm not sure if the ones he is selling are from most recent imports or his colony that he's had for longer but they appeared to be thriving.

Now, if you switched it out to bloody mary shrimp.... I can say my experience has been the same...
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
They aren't known to have issues like Neos if imported... to my knowledge... but I also don't keep them. I may have first seen them at Eric's place... Eric of BuyPetShrimp. I'm not sure if the ones he is selling are from most recent imports or his colony that he's had for longer but they appeared to be thriving.

Now, if you switched it out to bloody mary shrimp.... I can say my experience has been the same...
All the ones I have tried have been from Eric.
Blue Ridge Reef and Zoidburg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
snails are your friend

I PM'ed user "Chef Boyardee" who sells a lot of Taiwan bees and such and asked if he ever tried OEBTs. His response was "They've always been the elusive shrimps I've been unsuccessful at breeding." At least we're not the only ones.
Econde, Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 11:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't have a thriving colony - but I do have a small group that's survived through all my trial and error despite numerous mistakes as I was learning. I've fully rescaped twice with them, including completely wrecking my parameters once (I switched my substrate from inert to fluval stratum and it really dropped my ph, gh, etc.) I've got 4 of the original 10 and finally the female is berried. I bought from Grove Aquatics on eBay if you want to check into theirs. They don't seem to have a OEBT listing currently, but they're very responsive and great about responding to DMs. Their OEBT are bred in caridina parameters. I don't know if this will help you any, but I'm pretty impressed with them.

Here's a (bad) picture of my berried girl from them, she's beautiful:
Zoidburg and Discusluv like this.

Last edited by Rosalaine; 11-20-2020 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Picture

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode