Why are certain Neos so expensive? - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why are certain Neos so expensive?

So red cherry shrimp are Neocaridina heteropoda/N. davidii. So are blue dream cherry shrimp. So are yellow shrimp. Why is it that blue dreams and yellow shrimp are more expensive? If they're all the same species, shouldn't they have similar fecundities? Or is it another "they got bred so hard that now they're basically the Habsburgs" ?

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Supply and demand.

Reds are the most common - making them cheaper and a lot of people have them.

Blue / Yellow / Orange / Rili / Black etc. are more rare, less people have them, demand is likely greater for "new" colours allowing vendors to charge more.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 05:00 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I would add that reds seem to breed much more true, thus keeping the "supply" side of this equation higher. I cull so many blue dreams every time I get into that tank, and rarely have to cull any from my bloody Mary tank. I also cull a few goldenback yellows, but not nearly as many as blues. My black rose project just turned into a cull tank because if I culled with any consistency there would have been almost none left.

I'll also add that yellows and oranges have produced larger numbers for me than even reds, though this may have been coincidental. I use the same water, food, husbandry, etc on each tank but some simply do better than others. Part of that may be fecundity of the shrimp lines, not necessarily related to color.

In my own tanks, if you wanted 20 bloody Mary shrimp from me -I could net out 20 perfectly red shrimp easily yet if you wanted true dark blues, I'd be netting around for a long while to find specimens that fit the bill.

I once bought a group of gorgeous blue dream imports. They were the only shrimp in their tank. I wound up putting the entire tank full into a cull tank. They never threw one remotely blue baby, 100% wild types. Here's a photo from that disaster showing a parent shrimp and a few offspring.
Quagulator, Zoidburg and Roboto like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wonderful....now I wonder where I can find true breeding blue dreams....

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I would add that reds seem to breed much more true, thus keeping the "supply" side of this equation higher. I cull so many blue dreams every time I get into that tank, and rarely have to cull any from my bloody Mary tank. I also cull a few goldenback yellows, but not nearly as many as blues. My black rose project just turned into a cull tank because if I culled with any consistency there would have been almost none left.

I'll also add that yellows and oranges have produced larger numbers for me than even reds, though this may have been coincidental. I use the same water, food, husbandry, etc on each tank but some simply do better than others. Part of that may be fecundity of the shrimp lines, not necessarily related to color.

In my own tanks, if you wanted 20 bloody Mary shrimp from me -I could net out 20 perfectly red shrimp easily yet if you wanted true dark blues, I'd be netting around for a long while to find specimens that fit the bill.

I once bought a group of gorgeous blue dream imports. They were the only shrimp in their tank. I wound up putting the entire tank full into a cull tank. They never threw one remotely blue baby, 100% wild types. Here's a photo from that disaster showing a parent shrimp and a few offspring.
This is why I never spent the money on green jades, despite them being my favorite color morph. I don't have the patience to cull and cull. lol
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 07:31 PM
snails are your friend

My biggest advice would be to avoid imports at all costs, no matter how pretty they are. The line I have now is the best of the 4 times I've tried groups of these, but are still far from perfect. I got them from a member of the forums here. I'm "reverse culling" them now and moving the most perfect specimens to one of my 20 gallon breeder tanks. I'm a good 6 to 12 months away from seeing how this works out but so far they at least aren't throwing wild types.
Zoidburg and varanidguy like this.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 08:28 PM
Algae Grower

Seems like I'm really lucky with the number of blues I have in my first ever breeding of blue dreams.
I assume if they are quite blue at two weeks they'll stay that way?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
Seems like I'm really lucky with the number of blues I have in my first ever breeding of blue dreams.

I assume if they are quite blue at two weeks they'll stay that way?
In my limited experience with neocaridina, their colors only get better as they grow.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Blue Ridge Reef and Roboto like this.

|
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 08:56 PM
Algae Grower

These are about 12 days old:

varanidguy likes this.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 09:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
These are about 12 days old:

https://youtu.be/fFrv0w-SQAQ
You have a bunch of beauties in that batch!
Roboto likes this.

|
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 10:00 PM
snails are your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
In my limited experience with neocaridina, their colors only get better as they grow.
Same here. Only possible exception being some reds get very dark with older age, especially females. But that would only make a blue dreams better in most people's grading scale.
Zoidburg and varanidguy like this.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 11-10-2020 at 10:04 PM. Reason: oops
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 12:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
Wonderful....now I wonder where I can find true breeding blue dreams....

Try LRBretz. Claims to have the straightest line in the world at about 95% breeding true. He does well with shrimp so I wouldn’t be surprised. Years of culling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 01:20 AM
snails are your friend

Don't want to throw by all accounts a respectable breeder under the bus, but one of my early batches came from him. And in fairness to Lucas, a) I bought them from a hobbyist customer who had a few die and freaked out and traded them for fish and b) I knew darn well that there were a few babies from a former batch I hadn't been able to fish out that a male may have gotten big enough to have impregnated some before I could remove them, which would change everything. That must have been 6 years ago and I've wanted to try his line again since fairly.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 01:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Don't want to throw by all accounts a respectable breeder under the bus, but one of my early batches came from him. And in fairness to Lucas, a) I bought them from a hobbyist customer who had a few die and freaked out and traded them for fish and b) I knew darn well that there were a few babies from a former batch I hadn't been able to fish out that a male may have gotten big enough to have impregnated some before I could remove them, which would change everything. That must have been 6 years ago and I've wanted to try his line again since fairly.

I plan on it. My blue dreams are crap. Throwing lots of carbon rillis and the like. His “A” team is the one to buy from what I understand. Seems like it’ll be a $100 gamble when I buy them but hopefully worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 01:34 AM
snails are your friend

I'd pay $100 for two sexed pairs of dark blues if I knew for sure they'd throw like offspring! Would offer to sell you some of mine, but I think in your shoes I'd go with his line. The one thing I'd suggest most is make sure every last shrimp is out of that tank first.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode