Malaysian trumpet snails - thoughts on population control? - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By ichthyogeek
  • 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By ichthyogeek
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Leeatl
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Malaysian trumpet snails - thoughts on population control?

I had a Malaysian Trumpet Snail hitchhiker on a plant a while back, and we welcomed Mr Trumpy into our community. Mr Trumpy had offspring which was great timing as we needed some snails in our new shrimp tanks. The kids had a few grandkids which was also great.

Then we had population explosion in the shrimp tanks and numbers of tiny baby snails on the glass is getting a bit ridiculous. The explosion in snail population occurred at exactly the same time that all my shrimp started breeding too, so I am sure that the tanks just reached optimum conditions for both sets of critters.

These are primarily shrimp tanks and I have no intention of using any sort of chemical control, and I realise that the only answer is probably manual removal, but also hoping that someone has a bright idea or experience that might help...

So, anyway suggesting for keeping MTS populations under control please?

These tanks are barely fed, so no "stop overfeeding" comments please! They have Amazonia soil and lots of moss, biofilm, green goodness on glass etc, etc. In short, everything that is good for shrimp and which is also therefore good for the snails! Current approach is to remove any baby snails that are spotted on the glass on sight using tweezers. (I realise it might be better to evict Mr Trumpy and the other randy grownups to prevent new eggs being laid, but we're kind of attached to the first 2 generations).

Thanks, James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 09:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Assassin snails. They're predatory whelks which breed far slower than their prey items, but will assist in keeping the population under control.

Buy a pea puffer and put it into a different tank. Make a snail trap, and let'er rip!
Roboto and en7jos like this.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower

I second the suggestion of assassin snails. They're pretty too!
I like keeping trumpy's and assassins (I call them Harris's now) in all of my tanks with sand as they help keep things moving and healthy in the sand substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I had no luck controlling MTS with assassin snails.
The MTS were in a juvenile discus tank where I was feeding 5 times a day with daily 50-75% water changes. I added assassins and they were ineffective at controlling them. Finally had to take all substrate out, sanitize tank, and sterilize all equipment to get rid of eggs.
I find them repulsive.
Roboto likes this.

Amy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you - will investigate assassin snails!
Will they not completely wipe out the MTS in my small (11 litre) tanks though?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 08:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, they shouldn't. If they reproduce, then you'll need to monitor the population, and if the MTS population is too small for your liking, then you can always sell off the excess assassins.
Roboto likes this.

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, great, thank you!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 03:28 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Ramshorns and pond snails can out compete them to a degree, but I'm not sure that wouldn't be just diversifying your problem. I had no luck with assassin snails on aqua soil, I think the water was just too soft for them. A slice of cucumber weighted down overnight and then removed along with attached snails the next morning before lights come on can make some headway and is a little easier than just pulling them out one at a time. Also removing egg clusters before they become more snails should slow things down.
Roboto likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 08:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Here is a little gizmo I made from an old net and some plastic canvas . I just wait till an hour or more after lights out and scrape them off the glass into the basket and then dispose of them . I can't find assassin snails around me . This works well just have to remember to do it . Also I think MTS are live bearers and don't even need the opposite sex to procreate . Correct me if I am wrong .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201111_153303_Film1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	905143  

Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 09:19 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
You are correct! Up to 70 live babies at a time according to TFH. I have a mix of snails (on purpose) and had totally forgotten that the egg clusters I remove at times can't be theirs!
Leeatl likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've had success with assassin snails but depending on the MTS population, you need lots of assassins and it takes months. I added 12-24 assassins at a time to my 40g, and then added even more over several months. Did the same with a 20g. The tanks stayed clear for a long while, but eventually became re-populated, most likely transferred from other tanks I have that were not cleared. This gets pricey. Smaller numbers of assassins will at least keep the MTS numbers down to a more "acceptable" level than if there were no assassins. I hate MTS but have learned to live with some level of them.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 10:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to shou
MTS population control with assassin snails was a loss caused over time. MTS was under control at the beginning and after four years the tank is overrun with MTS.
Lots of MTS shells in there.

Last edited by shou; 11-17-2020 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Edited

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode