In need of advice: filter output attachment for a planted shrimp tank. - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Abettanamedaugust
  • 1 Post By AVN
  • 1 Post By sudhirr
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 8
In need of advice: filter output attachment for a planted shrimp tank.

Hello, I’m new to forums.

Here’s the thing: I have a 20 gallon long tank that I had had cycling and uninhabited for months. I Added hardscape and plants about maybe 6 months ago. I now have about 3 red rili shrimp and 4 Amano shrimp as well as 6 neon tetras and 2 nerite snails. (These were all added over the course of the last 6 months.) I’ve been dealing with a funky intake and output on my canister filter that I really don’t like at all. The intake tube is too tall and the output attachment doesn’t stay suctioned to the glass for more than 2 hours.
Now for the fun part. I decided I’m going to replace the input and outtake but am lost as to what type of attachment would be best. I’ve already decided I would like an intake with a surface skimmer; so that is taken care of. It’s the output that I’m curious about.
Does anybody have a suggestion as to the best types of output attachments for a shrimp tank? I want good circulation but I don’t want the current to be too strong for my plants. Mainly I’m worried about my rotala. I don’t want it being disturbed too terribly. And I also am not really sure what kind of current my fish and shrimp would do best with.
Any guidance or experiences would be super helpful!
Abettanamedaugust is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 12:37 AM
snails are your friend
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 3,010
Welcome to the forums! If I knew the brand and model of your filter I might be able to make a suggestion that would suffice for a while. We'd need to see hose diameter and such to consider attachments. But I'd personally almost never suggest a canister for anything under 40 gallons or so, especially with shrimp in the equation. My immediate thoughts are to buy an Aqua Clear 50 and put the provided sponge over the intake to protect any baby shrimp that might survive the neons. But if you'll give some more info on what you are working with, I bet the members here can come up with something.
Zoidburg likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Welcome to the forums! If I knew the brand and model of your filter I might be able to make a suggestion that would suffice for a while. We'd need to see hose diameter and such to consider attachments. But I'd personally almost never suggest a canister for anything under 40 gallons or so, especially with shrimp in the equation. My immediate thoughts are to buy an Aqua Clear 50 and put the provided sponge over the intake to protect any baby shrimp that might survive the neons. But if you'll give some more info on what you are working with, I bet the members here can come up with something.
Hello! Thank you so much for your suggestion. Right now I have a cascade 500. I knew going in about the possibility that it was gunna be overkill but at the time I was planning to overstock the tank with schooling fish. I have since changed my mind but am still using the canister. I removed the activated carbon it came with and filled it with sponge and bio rings when I first got the shrimp. I believe all cascade canister filters use the same size hose if Iím not mistaken. I honestly have no clue what the diameter is though.
My only thing about the Aquaclear is that I really donít like HOB filters. Thatís me just be picky though. I have one on my 5 gallon betta tank and I complain about it all the time haha. There is literally nothing wrong with the performance of an HOB, itís simply the look and the trickling noise I always end up hearing at times. Honestly though, if it means my shrimp will be happier then of course Iíd get one for the 20 gallon in a heartbeat.
Abettanamedaugust is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zoidburg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,243
Have you looked into a baffler for the HOB? Could probably either make or buy one.

Can't really help in regards to your canister though.... I'm sure that something could be made or modified for it or purchased.
Zoidburg is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Have you looked into a baffler for the HOB? Could probably either make or buy one.

Can't really help in regards to your canister though.... I'm sure that something could be made or modified for it or purchased.
That’s a good idea actually. I might use that for my 5 gallon. Not sure why I never thought of that before.
Zoidburg likes this.
Abettanamedaugust is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 09:37 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru
 
AVN's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,146
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't know too much about using surface skimmers in planted tanks so I'll skip that question.
What kind of filter are you using? Most canisters have inline valves that you can use to adjust the flow both ways.

If you want good intake attachments for a shrimp tank you should consider chopping off the tall intake and replacing the end with a sponge filter. Not the best for physically filtering leaves and debris but it will provide an amazing benefit for shrimpies.

hi
AVN is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't know too much about using surface skimmers in planted tanks so I'll skip that question.
What kind of filter are you using? Most canisters have inline valves that you can use to adjust the flow both ways.

If you want good intake attachments for a shrimp tank you should consider chopping off the tall intake and replacing the end with a sponge filter. Not the best for physically filtering leaves and debris but it will provide an amazing benefit for shrimpies.
Oh I never thought to shorten the intake. That is a big issue with my current intake because it’s too tall. That would help quite a bit.
I use a cascade 500 canister filter. And yes, thankfully I did learn I could adjust the flow rate with the valves when I got it. My biggest issue is the output shape(?). I guess “shape” is the right word? The attachments it came with are just not cutting it for me. The shape of the hard plastic pieces are awkward and don’t fit well on the rim.
Abettanamedaugust is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 10:22 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru
 
AVN's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,146
Well there are a variety of shapes you can buy to attach to your output, depending on what you want to accomplish. I personally like the spray bar default to eheim filters so that is what I use in most tanks.

For canister filters I think almost everyone is in love with lily pipe attachments. https://fishlab.com/lily-pipe/
IKeepShrimp likes this.

hi
AVN is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 02:03 AM
Planted Member
 
sudhirr's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bengaluru, India
Posts: 242
The link was a fantastic article. Good read.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IKeepShrimp likes this.

External links aren't permitted - please stop adding the link when we remove it
sudhirr is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
Well there are a variety of shapes you can buy to attach to your output, depending on what you want to accomplish. I personally like the spray bar default to eheim filters so that is what I use in most tanks.

For canister filters I think almost everyone is in love with lily pipe attachments. https://fishlab.com/lily-pipe/
Thank you for the article! It was very helpful. I’m starting to wonder if I should get a simple HOB since someone pointed out it’s better for shrimp. So many things I wish I knew to research before I started. I guess you never stop learning in this hobby though.
Abettanamedaugust is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zoidburg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Nevada
Posts: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abettanamedaugust View Post
Thank you for the article! It was very helpful. Iím starting to wonder if I should get a simple HOB since someone pointed out itís better for shrimp. So many things I wish I knew to research before I started. I guess you never stop learning in this hobby though.
A lot of shrimp keepers actually use sponge filters rather than HOB's... just have to set them up in such a way that the bubbling of the air pump (or the pump itself!) isn't annoying... which is rather easy to do with several of the different sponge filters.

I've got a dual sponge filter in my tank that attaches to the wall via suction cup. I plan to upgrade the tank some day and switch over to corner HMF filters.... fancy sponge filters
Zoidburg is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome